Bus Tour of Kyoto- Golden Pavilion, Imperial Palace, Nijo Castle, Kiyomizu Temple


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Kyoto » Kyoto
June 10th 2009
Published: June 10th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Today, 4 days before we would be heading home, was a long day of sightseeing. Today we would be visiting several key sites that have played a major role in Japan's history. Around 9 am, we boarded the luxurious bus to head to our first destination. As part of the Study Tour, we were given a tour guide to describe all of the places that we were to see. Her name was Keiko, a popular name in Japanese culture. As we made our way down busy streets and clogged intersections, we all got to see a large portion of Japan's shopping capital, Kyoto.
The first place to visit on the agenda was the Golden Pavilion. Hence the name "Golden Pavilion", the shogun that reigned over this temple wanted to construct a breath- taking masterpiece that people would be in awe over. So he literally covered the whole temple in gold- leaf. There is a small pond surrounding the temple dotted by small, man- made islands. At the right time of day, with the sun in the right place, the whole temple will be reflected upon the water. Fortunately for us, we were able to see this remarkable site!
To give you a brief history of this World Heritage Site, Yoshimitsu who was the 3rd Shogunate of Ashikaga was the architect behind this magnificent creation. Yoshimitsu intended to live at this site in present- day Kyoto for the rest of his years. He wanted to live peacefully away in the mountains and so chose this spot to build his throne. The whole complex is actually titled the Kinkakuji Temple, with the Golden Pavilion being at the center of it. The whole structure consists of three floors, each built in a different and unique style. The 1st floor is Shinden- zukuri, otherwise known as the palace style. The 2nd floor is Buke- zukuri, in the style of a samurai house called Cho- on- do. Finally, the 3rd floor is Karayo style, or in the style of a Zen temple. Painting the grounds are small rivers and rock studded pathways. Leading away from the Pavilion to the entrance/ exit is a small shopping area where you can purchase small gifts and snacks. However, interestingly enough, there are fortune machines and for a dollar you can buy your very own fortune. Be warned-- the fortunes are not always lucky! This was a very interesting place to see in person and is a great place to get some exercise!
Back on the bus we went... to the Imperial Palace where the Emperor himself resides on special occasions. This day he did not happen to be home, but if he is, all tours cease so in fact it was a good thing that he wasn't there! The Emperor has a special place in the Japanese government, he is the head of all temples and shrines (Buddhism and Shintoism) throughout the country. He has an important role in governmental procedures and many leading figures listen to his advise and opinions. Kyoto was actually the second capital of Japan, before Tokyo. All political leaders as well as the Emperor resided in Kyoto. However, during the 19th century, it was moved to Tokyo. Many Kyoto residents are still sour over the move but are proud that their city served Japan well for so many years.
The entire residence is made up of several buildings and ponds with strolling bridges and beautifully laid gardens. Upon entering the palace, we had to line up in four rows and stand evenly. The guards are very strict; their priority is to protect the grounds. Anyone who is interested in touring the palace have to make reservations 3 monthes in advance. We were granted permission to enter and were led into a large building where a movie played and we waited for the previous tour to end. Finally it was our turn to begin the tour; we were led by an older Japanese tour guide while our own guide, Keiko, translated for us. It was amazing to see this place, it's the equivalent to seeing the White House.
The Imperial Palace was first constucted in 794, however, has been destroyed by devastating fires eight times. The current palace was erected in 1855 adorned with authentic Heian Period architecture. The Imperial Residence is called the daidairi. Further along is the sentou, or the residence for a retired Emperor. The Shishinden is the most important of all; it serves as the hall for special ceremonies. There are also several gates around the complex in which motorcades can enter. However, each one is for a specific person; for instance, one is used just by the Emperor himself and so on. The gardens are beautifully crafted by colorful flowering plants. This was definitely an experience to tour; a center of relations and politics for much of Japan's rich history.
You might think that this was the whole day... no way! Subsequent to seeing the Imperial Palace we went back near the Karasuma Kyoto Hotel to have lunch. The lunch was awesome; a buffet with all different types of dishes and an ice cream bar. I was in awe at seeing a soda machine that had melon soda... best soda in the world!
After our delicious feast, we were on our way yet again to another destination. The next site on the agenda was Nijo Castle. This castle is extremely smaller than Himeji Castle but more historically rich. There is a large moat surrounding the high white walls. You head to the entrance gate to the castle itself which is embellished with hand- carved animals. I took some pictures of this gate; the pictures with the cranes and such are the ones which ornament this gate. Again, upon entering any castle (shrine, temple, house also) you must take off your shoes.
The castle is quite big, you could easily get lost inside if you do not have a GPS! The beginning area was designed to be the quaters where other shoguns, samurai, and political leaders would see. There are many rooms that served different purposes, but adorning every wall were gold- leaf paintings done in the 1600's. In a few rooms, the paintings still remain, however, light has faded much of the paintings. There are actually shades that are slightly opened to keep out the light to preserve the wall paintings. As I previously stated, the beginning section of the castle was a place for prestigious leaders to come and talk about war. The paintings on these walls are of thick, dark oak trees with warlike animals such as powerful leopards and regal birds- of- prey, all meant to instill a sense of fear and anxiety to the visitor. Also, interestingly enough, the wooden floors that you walk on actually squeak! Yes squeak! This was a tactic that the warriors used so they would hear someone coming, especially at night when they were vulnerable.
The shogun who ruled over this area as well as all other shoguns, had to keep order and be brave in the face of adversity. Their dispositions were unwavering and were fearful to be in the presence of. They could be extremely harsh to their enemies and were not the type of people to mess around with. The "conference" rooms that the shogun would have meetings in with other leaders were built for the worse- case scenario. Since the shogun always had the threat of being killed, his aids and guards always had to be ahead of the game. Specifically, in these "conference" rooms the ceilings were lower over the area where the guests would kneel. However, the ceiling that rose above where the shogun would sit was built even higher up. This was so no one could get into the ceilings and crawl above where the shogun sat and try killing him. It was pretty interesting to see the great engineering skills of ancient civilizations. Outside the main castle was a large pond with small islands. This was a beautiful area and would be nice to just sit and relax and take in the sun. You must walk further down a path which had several gardens on either side. This was another extraordinary place to see during our stay in Kyoto.
Our final destination was to Kiyomizu Temple, a large temple hidden in the surrounding mountains around Kyoto. The streets leading up to the temple itself are lined on both sides by souvenier shops. The street is very narrow and is only used for walking. The temple is comprised also of several beautiful buildings, including a large three- tiered Pagoda. The view from the decks of this temple were stunning; you could see the whole city of Kyoto in view. The hazy sky added a nice backdrop behind the city and far- off mountains. This temple was originated in 798 but the present buildings were constructed in 1633. This temple, which is explained in the name, is known for its pure water which runs down from the mountains. You can actually taste the water which is said to be blessed.
Each of these sites that we visited were amazing! Japan is known specifically for its temples, shrines, and mountains. It was a thrill to see these ancient buildings and learn much about Japanese culture. You learn so much about this country just from visiting places like these. One thing that you learn quite quickly is how religious Japanese people are. Religion (Shinto primarily, then Buddhism) have enveloped this country since the dawn of its founding. The architecture which can be found at these temples, shrines, and castles is remarkable; it illustrates a deep reverance towards its beliefs. These were simply amazing places to see!



Additional photos below
Photos: 169, Displayed: 28


Advertisement



11th June 2009

Kyoto
Truly remarkable. The palaces, gardens, and architecture illustrate a very serene environment enriched with history. It must have been a breath of fresh air from the growing moderization of Japan today. Also, it is interesting to see how much religion is integrated in the culture. I read that the United States had considered targetting Kyoto with the atomic bomb because it was a major intellectual center. Luckily, today it is preserved and much of it's history remains intact.

Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 15; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0506s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb