Day Trip to Kyoto, Japan


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Kyoto » Kyoto
July 29th 2008
Published: July 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

How many Unesco World Heritage Sites can you see in one day? Five if you roll like us!


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Bullet Train from Tokyo to KyotoBullet Train from Tokyo to Kyoto
Bullet Train from Tokyo to Kyoto

Arguably the fastest public train in the world (tops out at 130 MPH). We took the Shinkansen "Bullet" train from Tokyo early in the morning to Kyoto.
Toji TempleToji Temple
Toji Temple

Tō-ji is a Buddhist temple of the Shingon sect in Kyoto, Japan.
SanjusangendoSanjusangendo
Sanjusangendo

Sanjusangendo is the popular name for Rengeo-in, a temple in eastern Kyoto which is famous for its 1001 statues of Kannon, the goddess of mercy. The temple was founded in 1164 and its present structures date from 1266. The main hall, which houses the statues, is with over 100 meters Japan's longest wooden structure. In its center sits one large Kannon, flanked on each side by 500 smaller statues, standing in neat rows side by side, each as tall as a human being
KiyomizuderaKiyomizudera
Kiyomizudera

The temple dates back to 798, but the present buildings were constructed in 1633. The temple takes its name from the waterfall within the complex, which runs off the nearby hills. Kiyomizu means pure water, clear water or limpid water. It is notable for its vast veranda, supported by hundreds of pillars, that juts out over the hillside and offers impressive views of the city. The popular expression "to jump off the stage at Kiyomizu" is the Japanese equivalent of the English expression "to take the plunge". This refers to an Edo period tradition that held that, if one were to survive jumping from the stage, one's wish would be granted.
Ginkakuji (Silver Temple)Ginkakuji (Silver Temple)
Ginkakuji (Silver Temple)

It was built in 1474 by the shogun Ashikaga Yoshimasa, who sought to emulate the golden Kinkaku-ji commissioned by his grandfather Ashikaga Yoshimitsu.
Groundkeeper at GinkakujiGroundkeeper at Ginkakuji
Groundkeeper at Ginkakuji

These grounds are meticulously kept by these men using what looks like one chopstick.
Kinkakuji (Gold Temple)Kinkakuji (Gold Temple)
Kinkakuji (Gold Temple)

Kinkakuji was originally built in 1397 to serve as a retirement villa for Shogun Ashikaga Yoshimitsu, as part of his estate then known as Kitayama. It was his son who converted the building into a Zen temple of the Rinzai school. The temple was burned down twice during the Ōnin War. The Golden Pavilion, or Kinkaku, is a three-story building on the grounds of the temple. The top two stories of the pavilion are covered with pure gold leaf. The pavilion functions as a shariden, housing relics of the Buddha.
Nijo CastleNijo Castle
Nijo Castle

In 1601 Tokugawa Ieyasu, the founder of Tokugawa Shogunate ordered all the feudal lords in Western Japan to contribute to the construction of the Nijo Castle. The construction was completed during the reign of Tokugawa Iemitsu in 1626. It was built as the Kyoto residence of the Tokugawa Shoguns. The Tokugawa Shogunate used Edo as the capital city, but Kyoto continued to be the home of the Imperial Court (Kyoto Imperial Palace is located north-east of Nijo Castle).
Mystery FoodMystery Food
Mystery Food

We walked into this random spot thinking these were omlettes of some sort. Actually, these were weird pancake like things with squid...mmm


Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 11; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0462s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb