A Really Peaceful Morning in Gion


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Kyoto » Kyoto » Gion
April 12th 2024
Published: April 19th 2024
Edit Blog Post

From the Frugal Expat: Kyotois the hub of traditional Japanese culture because it served as Japan's imperial capital for more than a millennium (until 1868). In Kyoto, countless amazing things exist, including golden temples and vermillion shrines, Zen rock gardens, and swaying bamboo forests. You can also eat ramen bowls and participate in elegant tea ceremonies.

It's one of the few places left where you can still see geisha hurrying to appointments in wooden tea houses while wearing ostentatious kimonos and white cosmetics. Two thousand temples and shrines throughout the city are still inhabited.

Kyoto is overrun with tourists, along with some really bad tourists, probably Americans. They hassle the geishas for photos, interrupt their work routines, and have even grabbed women, knocking them to the ground. There is considerable thought being given to closing the area during tourist season, or to limit the area to locals. Great idea!!

Mike and I are headed there this morning, before the crowds, and before the geishas begin their daily routine.

The shopping areas on Nishiki and Teramachi are packed with tourists. The shops, some nice, some quite touristy are having a field day. One cannot think this is a real version of Kyoto?

We visited Gion early one morning, before the crowds. It was lovely, so quiet, we could hear the water trickle down the streams. We saw very few people.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0259s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb