JAPAN , HOKKAIDO , SAPPORO .


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Hokkaido » Sapporo
January 3rd 2020
Published: December 7th 2020
Edit Blog Post

Sapporo (札幌市) is the fifth largest city in Japan,It is the capital city of Hokkaido Prefecture and the largest city on the northern Japanese island of Hokkaido.

Sapporo is considered the cultural, economical, and political center of Hokkaido.

As with most of Hokkaido, the Sapporo area was settled by the indigenous Ainu people, beginning over 15,000 years ago. Starting in the late 19th century, Sapporo saw increasing settlement by Japanese migrants. Sapporo hosted the 1972 Winter Olympics, the first Winter Olympics ever held in Asia, and the second Olympic games held in Japan after the 1964 Summer Olympics. The Sapporo Dome hosted three games during the 2002 FIFA World Cup and two games during the 2019 Rugby World Cup.

The annual Sapporo Snow Festival draws more than 2 million tourists from abroad. Other notable sites include the Sapporo Beer Museum, which is the only beer museum in Japan, and the Sapporo TV Tower located in Odori Park. It is home to Hokkaido University, just north of Sapporo Station. The city is served by Okadama Airport, and New Chitose Airport in nearby Chitose.


Additional photos below
Photos: 239, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0404s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb