Takehara: Little Kyoto


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Hiroshima
October 11th 2005
Published: November 28th 2005
Edit Blog Post

TakeharaTakeharaTakehara

The old buildings
The Monday after the sake festival we had the day off. Sunday we were supposed to go to Hagi in Yamaguchi Ken...we did not move most of Sunday! Sunday was spent happily getting Italian food at my favorite place in Kabe, and romping around the Fuji Grand department store. Lisa and i are entertained very easily. Monday we decided to take a day trip to a town in Hiroshima Ken called Takehara. According to our Hiroshima Ken Guide Book, it is the 'little Kyoto' of Hiroshima because of its preserved historic buildings. It once used to be a thriving town through salt mining, but since then I believe it has become pretty poor. They can't even afford to have JETs at their schools (which may not be a bad thing, hiring us is expensive!).
There was not too much to this little port town. Lisa, Mercedez and I wandered the tiny little cobblestone streets lined with old style Japanese houses. My favorite was the red shrine on the hill. There wasn't too much to Takehara except for the little historic strip. In fact, the rest of the town was pretty much dead. Still, it was a great day trip.
TakeharaTakeharaTakehara

The streets: it was actually really beautiful and quaint
We took this really cool blue train all the way back to Hiroshima City. It was a perfect end to the debauchery encountered at the Sake Matsuri


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

TakeharaTakehara
Takehara

This is Mercedez and Lisa on the steps up to the shrine
TakeharaTakehara
Takehara

"Take" means bamboo, so the name of the town implies bamboo...low and behold, there is bamboo in Takehara!
TakeharaTakehara
Takehara

Old wooden sliding doors
TakeharaTakehara
Takehara

Another shrine and a cool green statue
TakeharaTakehara
Takehara

The red shrine
TakeharaTakehara
Takehara

Not all trains look this cool. This was our transport home


22nd February 2008

That red shrine was apparently made as a mini- Kiyumizudera. I love the view from up there. You were very lucky to catch the Marine Liner train as it only travels twice a day. Did you ever get to visit Okunoshima?

Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0297s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb