Takayama: Day 76 to 80


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Gifu » Takayama
April 19th 2024
Published: April 23rd 2024
Edit Blog Post

TakayamaTakayamaTakayama

Takayama Spring Festival
After Hiroshima, my plans were a bit fuzzy, but I headed to Takayama in the Gifu prefecture, to use it as the base for a few places I wanted to visit.

Takayama is the largest city by area in Japan, but less populated as it sits in the mountainous Gifu region (Takayama means Tall Mountain).

I arrived on the day there was the Spring Takayama Festival (Sanno Matsuri).

It is the annual festival of the Hie Shrine to celebrate the arrival of spring, where 11 festival floats (Yatai) are taken through the city. Volunteers gather dressed up in traditional Japanese attire including Kamishimo (traditional Edo period Samurai outfits). Accompanying the procession are Shishimai (lion dance) performers, and the lively, reverberating gongs of Tokeiraku performers, who wear traditional robes decorated with the vibrant image of spirited fighting roosters.

It was a great way to see old Japanese culture and experience a part of the old times.

Next day, I explored more of Takayama, through the Higashiyama Walking course that takes you through 10 temples, Cherry Blossoms and ending up at Takayama Castle Ruins at the Shiroyama Park (there were multiple bear warnings there and since I had
TakayamaTakayamaTakayama

Takayama Spring Festival (Yatai)
neither a bell nor a bear spray and I was hiking alone, I didn't go to the castle ruins). My favourite was the Hida Gokoku Shrine which had some amazing Cherry Blossoms.

Next day, I headed to Shirakawago on a day trip.

Spread over 68 Hectares, the three villages that make Shirakawago are a UNESCO World Heritage site. Shirakawago means White River Old District, because the villages are based in the Shogawa River valley.

The architecture of the houses in these villages are unique to address the extreme cold and snowfall that happens here. Called Gassho-Zukuri, these houses made of grass roofs, wood and with no nails have the roofs shaped as praying hands (hence the name).

This architecture has helped many of these houses survive the extreme climate over 250 years. These houses are expensive to maintain, but the society (with volunteers from across Japan) continue to maintain the homes (the roofs need replacement from time to time) free of labour cost.

Shirakawago was a stunning place, almost feels like a fairytale. I spent hours walking through the villages, enjoying the unique sights and the nature.

The next day, I headed to Kamikochi
Takayama Takayama Takayama

Takayama Spring Festival (Shishimai)
, a remote mountainous highland valley.

At an altitude of 1500 meters, this place has been kept in pristine state as it is part of the Chubu Sangaku National Park. Cars are not allowed here, you have to take a bus from Hirayu Onsen to reach.

Kamikochi had opened only the day before after its winter closure period and I was fortunate to be there on a date that I could visit.

I wasn't expecting to see snow this trip, but Kamikochi changed that. I also got to see the Japanese monkeys, beautiful nature and did two hikes through the recently thawed forests.

Kamikochi is pristine beauty of the Japanese Northern Alps and is an absolute must visit if you are there during its opening season.

Takayama, Shirakawago and Kamikochi, all have been very different side of Japan for me from what I had seen so far.

I realise more and more, that in Japan, it pays to get off the beaten track .


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

TakayamaTakayama
Takayama

On the Higashiyama Walking course
TakayamaTakayama
Takayama

On the Higashiyama Walking course
Takayama Takayama
Takayama

On the Higashiyama Walking course
Shirakawago Shirakawago
Shirakawago

Shirakawago, a fairytale place
Shirakawago Shirakawago
Shirakawago

Gassho-Zukuri at Shirakawago
Shirakawago Shirakawago
Shirakawago

Can you imagine living here?
Shirakawago Shirakawago
Shirakawago

Shogawa River
Shirakawago Shirakawago
Shirakawago

From Shirakawago observation deck
Shirakawago Shirakawago
Shirakawago

Shirakawago and it's isolated environment makes it special
Kamikochi Kamikochi
Kamikochi

Kamikochi with its fresh waters and mountains
Kamikochi Kamikochi
Kamikochi

Some of the freshest waters in the world
Kamikochi Kamikochi
Kamikochi

Myojin Pond and Shrine at Kamikochi
Kamikochi Kamikochi
Kamikochi

Kamikochi, snow persists in April
Kamikochi Kamikochi
Kamikochi

Taisho Ike Pond at Kamikochi
Kamikochi Kamikochi
Kamikochi

Some of the gentlest monkeys I have seen on my travels


Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 13; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0223s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb