Transport trials and tribulations to Takayama


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Gifu » Takayama
July 12th 2018
Published: July 29th 2018
Edit Blog Post

The day began with a final onsen and special farewell breakfast at the ryokan. We awoke to rain which followed us all the way down from the ryokan to the station in Gora...typical. Then we began the day of train travel, firstly from Gora to Odawara on the Tozan Railway.

This was followed by a Shinkansen journey from Odawara to Nagoya. Before getting on our bullet train we were able to see just how fast the limited express Shinkansen train was going as three of them flew through Nagoya station. The old expression of blink and you will miss it was true in this situation...Fi was able to capture it on video which lasted all of 5 seconds or so.

We were supposed to catch a further express train up to Takayama however the recent rains and landslides had affected the rail line so we ended up catching a JR bus to get there later in the afternoon.

Having to wait in Nagoya for ~2.5 hours enabled us to go food shopping and once again experience some other Japanese ice creams. Fi’s was a creme brûlée ice cream which was said to be the best she has ever had... I gave my approval too...



When we arrived at Takayama, we wandered to our accommodation, very close to the old town. We left our bags and went out for a walk to see the old town and go out for food. Unfortunately there was not much open in the way of restaurants close to our accommodation.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0651s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb