Kitakyushu, Japan


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Fukuoka » Kitakyushu
July 28th 2007
Published: September 23rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


RiverwalkRiverwalkRiverwalk

Buildings along Riverwalk displaying Interesting Geometrical Forms
KIN4 meeting landed me in Japan for the first time in June 2007. It wasn't a smooth journey considering it took almost a day to reach Kitakyushu from Sibu, my lovely hometown in Malaysia.


I took Malaysia Airlines from Sibu to Kuala Lumpur at 1150 on 23/7, the capital City of Malaysia. From Malaysia, I took Thai Airways to Bangkok and onward to Fukuoka International Airport in Japan after few hours transit. It was 0800 upon arrival in Fukuoka. A bus took us from the airport at 0930 to Kitakyushu. We arrived at about 1110 on 24/7 at Kokura Station, Kitakyushu.JR Kyushu's Kokura Station is the main rail hub of Kitakyushu, and the Sanyo Shinkansen stops there.


Our hotel, Royal Righa Hotel is about 5 minutes walk from Kokura Station. It is strict with the check-in hour at 1330. After leaving the luggage with the bell boys, we went for a stroll in the Kokura Station. It is big with department stores at both wings. The central alley is packed with performing artists and temporary trade and exhibition stalls.


Checked into hotel at 1330 and took a short break after a whole day's journey.
Uomachi Covered Street ArcadeUomachi Covered Street ArcadeUomachi Covered Street Arcade

The Uomchi COvered Streets Shopping Arcade


Boredom took us out for a stroll. We decided to head towards th Tanga Market. The market was Kokura's fisherman's wharf back in the Taisho era and grew as merchants came from further inland to trade their goods for fish and other commodities. Saw some pretty good display freezer along the streets for sales of meat.


We strolled through Uomachi shopping area which is a huge covered shopping streets arcade. One might get lost of the directions if you identify them earlier.


The next day, we registered ourselves for KIN4 meeting at Kitakyushu International COnvention Centre not far from the Hotel.


I decided to take a walk alone at Riverwalk Kitakyushu which is a prestigious shopping centre near the Murasaki river and Kokura Castle in Kokura Kita ward, Kitakyushu, Japan. It was opened as part of the Kitakyushu Renaissance policy on April 19, 2003 and includes theatres, restaurants, a multiplex cinema, NHK studios, the head offices of Zenrin Co. and the Asahi Shinbun (West area) and a branch of the Kitakyushu city art museum.


I walked through Tokiwa bashi bridege in Kokura Kita ward, Kitakyushu, a reconstruction of a bridge on
Kokura Station in the backgroundKokura Station in the backgroundKokura Station in the background

Kokura Station in the background
the Nagasaki Kaido, the route from Nagasaki to Edo taken by the Dutch and also Japanese daimyo to fulfil their obligation (sankin kotai) of visiting the Shogun once every two years.


Back to Sibu via Bangkok and Kuala Lumpur




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Tepanyaki at Righa Royal HotelTepanyaki at Righa Royal Hotel
Tepanyaki at Righa Royal Hotel

Tepanyaki at Righa Royal Hotel
Puchinko CrazePuchinko Craze
Puchinko Craze

Japanese Seniors are crazy about Puchinko..taken along uomachi


Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0623s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb