5* Tokyo


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Ehime » Ochi » Kamijima
August 7th 2006
Published: September 28th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Tokyohmygoditshot!Tokyohmygoditshot!Tokyohmygoditshot!

Shibuya, Oxford Street without the dirt under your fingernails.
Between arriving in Japan (more specifically Tokyo) and writing this blog both a lot of time has past and a hell of lot of things have happened - however, I think I am starting it just in time to catch it all before it gets lost to my ever dissolving memory

I'll start off with a little on Tokyo, and although I spent only 2 days there and was a bit brain dead for the most of it, it was an all around wicked city to enter Japan through.

As cities go it is pretty cool and having never been to one of those scyscraper style, billion storie building places I found it all pretty impressive - an incredibly clean and quiet city that is not exactly cosmopolitan by London standards but has a colourful mix of well dressed, clean cut, polite and friendly people (as cities can be).

We were put up in pretty plush style also. I think there is a certain attempt to wow the Jets who arrive, ( that or Japan really is a rich as we are led to believe) and we spent 2 nights in the Keio Plaza Hotel which by English
Trip down memory lane.Trip down memory lane.Trip down memory lane.

Old school Tokyo - a restaurant where there should be a phonebox.
standards this is a 5 star hotel, but who knows what is here as they take hopitality to another level. We were told by our JET supervisor lady thst it was where they filmed Lost in Translations, however, it sounded a little too convenient for me. Either way, we ate well, slept strangley and stared like apes in awe at the toilets - (again) at least I did.

We were being broken in to Japanese life slowly, as we dined on bacon and bread in the mornings and pasta or Japanese curry in the evening.

I have to say it was an experience I'll never forget, as there were around 1600 of us foreign boys and girls looking much the worse for wear, but in our best suits, who (in my cse anyway ) had never been to hotel yet alone a country like this before. I also had to wear a name badge which was a magnet for Mormon lookalike's to approach me and say 'Hey!'.

In the time we were in Tokyo, me and Den managed to get out every night and made to over to Shibuya (equiv. of Oxford Circus) and Roppongi (supposedly the equivelant Soho, but they must have cleaned up their act knowing we were on our way). We managed to arrive for a kodak perfect pedestrian road crossing with five intersecting crowds at Shibuya, and headed down to a place called memory lane which is one of the only places in Tokyo not to be flattened during WW2 and consists of lots of little restaurants that seat about 10 people and serve, anything on a stick. It was probably the best intro to Japan and we met some sound people who seemed pretty curious as we were the only westerners there. I later read in the Lonely planet that it had earned the nickname 'piss alley' (or something like that) for obvious reasons, which may have explained the turn out .

Either way it was worth the walk and after purchasing a dandy looking casio watch (cheapest in the shop) I decieded that I could take on anything this country decided to throw (or politely offer) at me.

There was a lot of other adventures in Tokyo, including meeting the fantastic Jets that make up the Kamijima-chou 4: Luke, Jenny and Ethan; as well as the rather colourfultalks on'being
Room with a viewRoom with a viewRoom with a view

I had to lay down very shorlty after this pic was taken. No joke. God apparently didn't put me on this earth to ride lifts at speed...
a rural JET' and finding out just how unique out placements are (especially Ethan's), and generally feeling like your walking around in sauna, fully clothed - but I want to get onto the Love Princess (Ehime) who would be my home for the next year.

(ps: these entries are pre-dated)


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Put it down and go home lady!Put it down and go home lady!
Put it down and go home lady!

I thought this was quite a amusing. She was a middle aged lady dressed up to go out playing Time crisis in high heels at 1 in the morning.
Stacks to do.Stacks to do.
Stacks to do.

Everything is built skywards in Tokyo, so at first it might seem like there are really many restaurants etc or things to do, untill you realise that you have to enter what look just like peoples home to get into these places.
NiceNice
Nice

This was beer that you poured into a full tankered of ice water. In a word it was crap.
Toilet in the skyToilet in the sky
Toilet in the sky

it hard to tell from the lightin in this WC but if God used the lav, surely.....


1st October 2006

WOW!
What more can I say!
9th October 2006

Quality
Well the entry finally mysteriously appeared! Now we have 3 out of 4 of the Kamijima crew up here... time to get to work on Luke. Hope the shoulder isn't too sore from lugging around the beast of a danjiri (I got some good shots that i'll email to you). Camping next weekend... Ichizuchi-san beware!
12th November 2006

errr
i cant believe you have a blog. your a blog. crazy talk i say. From the Nick I met years ago to this. how??? When??? But very good though, im impressed and ever so slightly jealous. will try chatting soon
1st December 2006

Hello there!
Just a quick note to say hello from all the team! Glad to hear that you're having such a great a time but we miss you! Don't worry about your dad as we're keeping him busy with lots of work! Drop us a line whenever you get the chance and we'll keep up with the blog! Catherine, Barbi, Philippa and all the team!

Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 6; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0252s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb