Mt Ishizuchi


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Ehime » Ochi » Kamijima
November 5th 2006
Published: November 12th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Mt IshizuchMt IshizuchMt Ishizuch

The peak
This weekend I climbed Mt. Ishizuchi, so it is not just a clever title there.

Japan is a country which really ticks around the clock to the seasons, and there are certain things that you have to do at certain times of the year.

Just like the everypresent tanoy clock which rings out the hour every hour and sets the pace of this little island community, the sudden, and very beautiful reddening of the leaves spells out the kicking in of Autumn.

Yes i am saying this in November and it is still about 23 degrees out but it is still Autumn.

Japan is country of mountains and in fact something like 70% of the population live on 30% of the land, and the largest peak in Ehime (my pref) is Mt Ishisuchi.

I will keep this entry short as it is more about the pictures really, but I will say it was a wicked 2 days and made me realies just how incredibly beautiful this country is.

Most imporatantly it made me realise that I like all of the seasons and that sitting around waiting for summer in England means you miss most of you life.

It has also given me a lust to go climbing or hiking some in Scotland or somewhere like that.

It was pretty tiring and often a bit terifying but when you reached the sundrenched silence at the top, you suddenly remembered again why you came to Japan in the first place.

I loved it.


Additional photos below
Photos: 51, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Where the river?Where the river?
Where the river?

THis is where it starts to look very twin peaks and the mountain country begins.
SubarashiSubarashi
Subarashi

Autumn glory near the bottom
BeforeBefore
Before

Saijo city, before the climb. I went for the black sesame flavoured ice cream. Mighty fine I tells ya.
Ishizuchi ShrineIshizuchi Shrine
Ishizuchi Shrine

Mt Ishizuchi is one of the 7 (or 5 I forget) holy mountins in Japan so it has a number of Shrines. This one has the hotel which we stayed in next to it, which I loved.
Ethan and Jennie taking a breakEthan and Jennie taking a break
Ethan and Jennie taking a break

I, of course, never take breaks and climbed in record time, in my underwear and built and shrine at the top - and was back before lunch.


12th November 2006

The grand old Duke of Nick
..and he marched them down again. Mate i am jealous in ways you can't imagine -did Everest base camp in the summer -was amazing. When you're back we'll do the 12 peaks in Wales if you fancy it. Then perhaps the twelve pints in Wales, then you'll really appreciate Japanese culture. You look different, thin in the face, dint recognise you. Big love from all concerned in sunny England i eagerly await the next "blog" whatever one of them is.
12th November 2006

hey
looks beautiful baby! Reckon I would have got vertigo at the top though...Look forward to seeing more pictures soon.love you xx
12th November 2006

WOW
Hey Nick......how are you hun??? I'm so glad you've put up those beautiful pictures. It looks absolutely majestic there......I can't imagine you ever wanting to come back at all. Hope you are having the time of your life........We all miss you loads. B
12th November 2006

Scary or what!
More scary than Norge - you wouldn't get me up there! More dangerous than a finger in the eye.
13th November 2006

The Fever
Ishizuchi-san was a sweet climb, glad you saw the light in the end and skipped out on a certain other engagement. Its a shame we never got any pics of the Yakuza that we partied with on Friday. The guy only had 3 fingers left, he must have really messed up somewhere along the line. I don't know how we got involved in that. The fever must have been strong that night.
14th November 2006

The peak
Looking again, after the attack of vertigo, loved the stylish pic of the peek at the peak...
16th November 2006

All good
Loving the blog, glad you're having such a good time :-)
21st November 2006

Wow!!
Looks fantastic. All of us in Norfolk enjoying the blog - those chain things look freaky!

Tot: 0.249s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 73; dbt: 0.1808s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb