Plastic in Paradise


Advertisement
Asia » Indonesia » Sumatra » Pulau Banyak
November 29th 2019
Published: November 29th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Indonesia has a bit of a plastic problem. I don't normally talk about it in my blogs, and if you would look at my pictures you might not expect it. But plastic is literally chocking up the rivers, polluting the jungles, and clogging the seas of this country. And every now and again I get confronted with this fact. Mostly I try to ignore it. I try to ignore the people throwing their plastic bags, b... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 55, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Simanindo to TomokSimanindo to Tomok
Simanindo to Tomok

Tomb and church
TomokTomok
Tomok

Kin Sidubatur Grave... he looks somewhat melancholic
TomokTomok
Tomok

Various statues at the grave
TomokTomok
Tomok

Closer look
TomokTomok
Tomok

Head
SingkilSingkil
Singkil

Sapo Belen Guesthouse in Singkil, interesting place
SingkilSingkil
Singkil

Decoration inside the guesthouse
SingkilSingkil
Singkil

My boat to Pulau Banyak
Pulau BanyakPulau Banyak
Pulau Banyak

First sight of the islands
Pulau BalaiPulau Balai
Pulau Balai

Entering the main island, Pulau Balai
Pulau BalaiPulau Balai
Pulau Balai

Sunset of Balai
Pulau BalaiPulau Balai
Pulau Balai

Leaving Balai the next morning
Pulau Balai to Pulau TailanaPulau Balai to Pulau Tailana
Pulau Balai to Pulau Tailana

On the way to Pulau Tailana
Pulau Balai to Pulau TailanaPulau Balai to Pulau Tailana
Pulau Balai to Pulau Tailana

It all looks like this
Pulau Balai to Pulau TailanaPulau Balai to Pulau Tailana
Pulau Balai to Pulau Tailana

More tropical islands along the way
Pulau Balai to Pulau TailanaPulau Balai to Pulau Tailana
Pulau Balai to Pulau Tailana

There is my island!
Pulau TailanaPulau Tailana
Pulau Tailana

Beach view



30th November 2019
Tanjung Pinang to Dumai

I feel your pain. It is a struggle to ignore all the plastic in paradise, but sometimes a necessary mechanism to cope. I get seriously depressed seeing it all, but I can’t say it will stop me from traveling. I just try to pick up as much trash as I can along the way.
2nd December 2019
Tanjung Pinang to Dumai

Yep, it's not always easy to ignore...
But not travelling won't solve the problem either. I always hope I can help by setting an example. If they see me not throwing things out the window, perhaps it will make them think. Even if only one in a hundred changes their habit, it is at least a start.
1st December 2019

Plastic waste
It's really quite sad. I surprise myself at how quickly I can start ignoring the rubbish that lines the streets in some countries, where as even a scrap of paper on the ground at home gets pounced on and put into a bin. Our double standards are painful to acknowledge...
2nd December 2019

Double standards
Our double standards are more serious than that unfortunately. Where do you think the difficult to recycle plastic of Europe goes? We send it off to countries like Indonesia and China (until China closed its borders to our plastic trash, about a year ago). And what to think about our carbon footprints!? Now that is a double standard I am struggling with. I love travelling, but travelling, at least if you fly, like me, has a huge carbon footprint. How to square that? It's a dilemma. My own little solution is to not fly short haul anymore as much as I can. Even though it's cheaper (which is completely ridiculous of course) than the train!
3rd December 2019

Plastic everywhere
I understand Indonesia has recently banned recyclables being exported to it by Australia as has China. Our Prime minister has declared that we should be responsible for disposal of our own rubbish and not ship it overseas. We had a TV series a couple of years ago that has been repeated called "The War on Waste" that was a hard hitting expose. It included putting trackers in some recyclables to see where they went and most became rubbish overseas. This indicated those countries were purchasing the items from us but not taking recycling seriously so further polluting their own countries. Attitudes are changing in Australia but it is slow. There was a ban on single use plastic bags in our supermarkets last year but consumers complained it was inconvenient so now they provide less biodegradable plastic bags for 15 cents and multi use bags for 99 cents.!!! We always take our own bags when shopping and so do many others. Some hotels & bars do not provide plastic straws but resistance by groups like McDonalds is strong. Every year there is a day devoted to cleaning our beaches by the public that has been going on for a number of years but of course the plastics float in from elsewhere such as Indonesia or by Aussies who do not clean up after themselves. Attitudes must change as EVERY fish in Australia contains some plastics that the fish have consumed, which we then eat and digest. I fear it is too late!!!
4th December 2019

It's a stubborn problem
Mostly because humans are stubborn animals who have difficulty changing their ways or accepting inconvenient truths that mess with their point of view and their way of life. But let's remain optimistic! There is change! Countries are banning plastics, countries like India and Kenya! So fear not! Instead continue setting the good example.
3rd December 2019

Layers of plastic
A lasting memory of the Bromo volcano area of Java and my time with the Tengger people was walking down narrow alleys cut between their built up fields of vegetables etc. The cross-section of the sides of these fields were layers of plastics protruding from the soil metres thick! Naturally I took some photos as it was a disturbing site,indicating plastics discarded over many years. Like you I tried to ignore it and exclude plastic waste from my pics. The soils were rich in potash from the volcanoes, humus and bacterial breakdown but alas the plastics endured, were not breaking down and were there for the long term.
4th December 2019

That's horrible
But indicative of our wasteful society, and the widespread ignorance on the matter
3rd December 2019
Tomok

Tomok
I have posted this in the "Rock Art of the World" thread in the Photography Forum. This is a thread that has tremendous potential as there are so many examples TBers come across out there. Check it out.
4th December 2019
Tomok

Thanks
I will check it out.

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 15; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0433s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb