Gili Air Retreat


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Lombok » Gili Air
March 2nd 2007
Published: March 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

main harbourmain harbourmain harbour

Gili Air
From Lovina, we bussed back to Kuta in the south (also near the airport). Matt made arrangements to head home. I met up with another friend from Vancouver and after a day of wandering around busy, touristy Kuta the two of us made the epic journey to Gili Air.

Gili Air is one of what are known as "the Gilis," group of three small islands located off the northwest coast of Lombok. Gili means "island" and air means "water" in the indonesian language. Ironically, it is not easy to find water on this island. There are no lakes or creeks. Brackish (partly salty) groundwater is pumped up and used for cleaning and bathing. Drinking water is imported from Lombok.

Gili Air is nearly circular in shape and approximately 1.5 to 2 kilometers through the middle. The perimeter of the island can be walked around in about an hour. The island is perched on a shallow coral reef.

Locals reported that parts of the beach on the east side of the island is disappearing at a rate of as much as 2 metres per year. Efforts are being made to place breakwaters and plant vegetation in some of these areas.

The highest point on the island is all of a few metres above sea level.

There are no motorized vehicles on the island. Transportation is via horsecart, bicycle or by foot. We were told that the reason for this is that the grandmothers on the island couldn't sleep with motorbikes ripping around. How awesome is that? Grannies getting the last word!

There is a local population of more than 1,000 villagers on Gili Air. The villagers and their lands occupy the centre of the island. The tourist accommodation and services are located around the perimeter. The main harbour area is where the ferry and most of the fishing boats come in and out.

We spent a lot of time sitting in the little beach shelters or brugas at Harries restaurant drinking tea, watching the local women come down to collect fish from their men, kids swimming in the ocean in the afternoons and the occasional small group of tourists walking by.

We also went for lots of walks, exploring the trails and footroads crossing the island and hoping to stumble upon fallen coconuts. We practiced yoga in the shade and went for swims when the tide was high enough over the reef.

The Muslim prayer is broadcast five times per day from speakers at the mosque. It sounds like singing or chanting.

It often rained in the afternoons and there was a violent thunder storm one night.

We spent nearly two weeks on the island enjoying the quiet time to reflect and renew.




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

brugasbrugas
brugas

Gili Air


15th March 2007

good to hear from you!!!
well hello, we have been wondering???? and now we know, enjoy the photos!!! it is quite primitive! no? vastly different to the research I am doing on Northern Italy and France where we have a smatering of sites along with the Tourists of course, hopefully we will be able to avoid some of these tourists!!!

Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0443s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb