Breathtaking Borobudur


Advertisement
Asia » Indonesia » Java » Borobudur
April 6th 2015
Published: April 7th 2015
Edit Blog Post

The whole purpose of this brief trip to Indonesia was to visit the Buddhist temple at Borobudur. Built in the 9th Century, the temple complex looked stunning, and our mission was to visit at sunrise. I was a bit dubious about my chances given a history of failed attempts to see either sunrises or sunsets at various famous places, Angkor Wat being the most recent. However I am nothing if not an opt... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 51, Displayed: 21


Advertisement




7th April 2015

It all looks amazing beautiful. Would not mind a bit of time out at the resort looks as if you had a suite not just a room. Also loved the bronze of the buffalo with the little boy blowing a flute - a nice bit of garden sculpture.
8th April 2015

You are right, my room is more of a villa. It's huge! I have two bathrooms, an indoor one and an outdoor one, a massive bedroom and a separate living space which is very generous. All beautifully decorated. It's a lovely spot, I think you'd like it here.
7th April 2015
Sunrise at Borobudur

Borobudur
Great to see you not only have experienced Borobudur at sunrise...you have done it after Angkor Wat...thus completing one of the pilgrimages of antiquity. Yet to do it properly you have to walk through two or three rivers and the temples in that straight line before you do so! Couldn't see from your blog that you did that Rachael!
8th April 2015
Sunrise at Borobudur

No you are right, I have definitely not been in a straight line! I didn't know that, interesting to hear. I will have to do some more research on the internet.
8th April 2015

World Traveler
You really are getting around these days. These photos are amazing. I love coffee but don't have any desire to have the cat crap coffee. I love listening to call to prayer.
8th April 2015

Sadly this one is just a short trip....I would love to be able to linger. Yes, I love listening to the call to prayer, it's very peaceful and a wonderful backdrop to where I am now.
10th April 2015
Sunrise at Borobudur - morning meditation

A wholly/holy perfect holy day/holiday
Bravo for taking in the sites at sunrise (what a sacrifice--and with a wild driver at that!) and then melting into your luxurious verandah, enjoying the goodness of life! What a perfect vacation--cultural experiences, traveling with a friend and relaxation. This is travel!
10th April 2015
Sunrise at Borobudur - morning meditation

I can recommend Yogyakarta, and especially Borobodur if you're ever over this way. It really does have it all!
12th April 2015

Wow!
That looks like an awesome sunrise! Well worth the ultra early start and mad taxi ride :)
12th April 2015

It was definitely worth it. Actually the driving was generally much better than many countries I've visited (I think Sri Lanka take the cake though!), it was just this particular morning drive. Our driver was running late and I think he was worried we would miss the sunrise! It all turned out very well....obviously!

Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 19; dbt: 0.0512s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb