Captivating Cultures: A Closer Look at the Barong and Kecak Dance of Bali


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Bali
March 28th 2011
Published: October 14th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Visiting the Barong Dance at Batubulan in Gianyar and the Kecak Dance in Uluwatu is an absolute must for anyone looking to experience the iconic art of Balinese dance. These performances are a unique way to immerse oneself in the culture and traditions of music and dance, and should be included in any itinerary.

The Barong performance begins at 9:30am and will last for an hour, with an entrance fee of Rp100,000 per person. Our guide, Eddy, will pick us up after breakfast to take us to the venue.

The Barong play is a representation of the battle between good and evil, with Barong representing the good spirit and Rangda the evil spirit. Barong is a mythological animal, and Rangda is the mother of Erlangga, the King of Bali in the 10th century.

There are many different types of Barong masks, from tigers, cats, and pigs. The Barong Dance is the most well-known dance in Bali, and is often accompanied by two monkeys.

Eddy informed us that the masks of Barong and Rangda are considered sacred items, and must be blessed by a priest before they are brought out. Offerings must be presented, and the priest will sprinkle them with holy water.

While the Kecak Dance is a performance of dance art that was created in the 1930s, it is still captivating audiences today. This traditional Balinese dance is performed by dozens of men marching in a circle in a seated position.

The most interesting part of the dance is when the dancers raise their arms and cry "cak! cak! cak!" in unison to the rhythm. The subtlety of the body movements and the artistry of the dance is truly impressive.

The Kecak Dance is based on the story of the Ramayana, in which the hero fights the villain, Rahwana, with the help of a troop of monkeys. This dance drama originated from the ritual of Sang Hyang, with the dancers entering the area in a trance-like state. The dancers are dressed in tartan, unlike the Barong dancers who wear masks. Now, the Kecak Dance is a beloved icon in the artistic traditions of Bali.

The Kecak Dance performance begins at 6:00pm and lasts for an hour. The entry fee is Rp100,000 per person.

Visiting Uluwatu Temple is often combined with the Kecak Dance, as they are located in the same area. This 11th-century temple is situated on the south-western tip of Bukit peninsula, offering a breathtaking view of the 100-meter high rock cliff overlooking the ocean.

To ensure a seat for the Kecak Dance, visitors should arrive at least an hour before the performance begins. The entry fee to the temple is Rp20,000 per person.

On the same day, visitors can also explore other nearby attractions such as Monkey Forest, take pictures at Tagalalang Padi terrace, and visit Gunung Merapi in Kintamani.

For those who wish to experience the Kecak Dance in Uluwatu, it is best to plan a separate day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 59, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0525s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb