Bits of Bali


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Bali
January 27th 2014
Published: January 27th 2014
Edit Blog Post

We have been in Bali now for 4 nights and have really not done a huge amount. We have moved areas each day but as Bali is not really that big there are not the long distances involved as there were in Java. Our first afternoon after crossing from Java we were confined to quarters by an electric storm which raged all afternoon and into the night with torrential rain. Luckily the quarters were lovely and we were able to sit outside on our terrace admiring the storm although it really upset the WiFi connectivity!

We stayed in a tropical forest one night at Mundak and it was really cold - we had to dress for dinner, not in fine gowns but in fleeces and scarves! At Mundak we did a forest walk with a local guide for a few hours and saw how the local people plant crops amongst the forest plants. Having done a few tropical rainforest walks before the most memorable things I saw on the walk was a couple having their wedding invitation photos taken in front of a waterfall, photographers and them getting very wet - there was apparently more water than usual so I
glad they were not my cameras!glad they were not my cameras!glad they were not my cameras!

This couple were having their wedding invitation photos taken.
think they got more than they bargained for!

The other thing we saw which was I first for me was a civet cat which is about the size and shape of a domestic cat but has a pointed snout. Unfortunately this one was caged and used to 'process' coffee beans. Once they pass through the animal they are then washed (thankfully!) and roasted and ground producing a much stronger coffee which commands twice the price.

We visited a village that has styled itself as a visitor attraction. We made some temple offerings by folding banana leaves, declined to see them training cockerels to fight, watched the ox ploughing the paddy field in preparation for planting and saw a little bit of rice planting at close quarters but decided not to get up to our knees in the mud to help out.

Last night we attended another performance of Prince Rama and his wife Sita's story. This was the same story we had seen in Jogjakarta but could not have been more different. There was no music but about 50 men on the stage making "cajack" noises. The finale was spectacular when the actor literally threw himself several times into a pile of flaming coconut shells and, having just trodden on a burning mosquito coil myself in bare feet, I think he was mad!

Treated ourselves to a Balinese massage this afternoon - what an experience although I think Sian's lady was a bit more rough than mine as she squeaked a few times.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

lunchlunch
lunch

And it was delicious
the Kecak Menthe Kecak Men
the Kecak Men

Who chant 'cajack' throughout the performance


Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0331s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb