What to do on Bali but surfing.


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Bali
February 16th 2012
Published: February 16th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Everyone wants to go to Bali, to Indonesia. The beaches of Bali are full of tourists that lay on the sand all day like seals on the ice, sticking to the well beaten path and hitting up 3-4 tourist traps throughout the entire extent of their stay. Kirill and I are not cut from the same mold. We are explorers.

We came to Bali at the end of January. Going to an exotic destination is futile without any special knowledge of the place. In Indonesia, you can get lost before you turn around, over-pay three-fold, or run into an insidious local faun.

Tailed creatures inhabit the forest around the village temple Uluvatu and vigilantly check tourists: sly monkeys swipe sunglasses, hats, and other accessories. I, however, had already heard about the monkeys’ criminal activity from acquaintances who’ve returned from Bali, so we were ready for them.

What is there to do in Bali other than surfing? Kirill unearthed, from the Gelpme site, some peoples’ willingness to share their impressions and recommend some amazing places that are off the beaten path. We resorted to the help of the site when some unexpected situations arose. It helped us save considerably on island transportation, find the best fresh fish and fruit market for miles, and even discover and post office!

Luckily, the general atmosphere of willingness to help one another reigns supreme in the commonwealth of tourists. But, as is true everywhere, those who are just out to make a buck are around every corner. Illegal excursions, traditional medicines, souvenirs of questionable quality…friendly hints are priceless around here!

Traveling is memorable – to put it lightly. I repeat – we are not down to laze on the beach all the time. Thus far, Kirill has snorkeled on the island of Gili Air (underwater swimming with a breathing tube) and spied some multicolored fish. I took a walk, or rather a horse-drawn carriage, around the island (cars, and even motorcycles are outlawed there!) Gili Air is a tiny island not far from Bali and is simply enchanting: snow-white sand, ocean as blue as the sky, bungalows, and it is all completely isolated from developed civilization.

Bali has a lot of surfers making their “pilgrimage” from Australia. They make themselves at home on the island – apparently, they can’t tear themselves away from the relaxed atmosphere and ridiculously beautiful nature.
Epic sunsetEpic sunsetEpic sunset

It was the magic moment and fantastic colours
And for those who love independent and active vacations (like us), Bali is positively a fairytale. At sunset, the friendly Australian surfers that we met treated us to some local wine with a funny name (Kolesom). It is surprising how the environment makes people so open and welcoming!

A couple of words about Ubud – a small town, where the vast majority of people live in a state of permanent relaxation and soulful consciousness. There are a few yoga schools, little organic-food restaurants, and a general atmosphere of enlightenment that really touched us. I, myself, felt some kind of inner harmony and peace. It is undoubtedly worth it to spend 2-3 days here. Another fun fact is that Ubud, while located in the depths of the island, is not too far from the eastern coast where the White Sand Beach (or Virgin Beach) lies. It really is unspoiled and you can enjoy the clear blue water while lying on the sand in complete solitude.

One more point of our travels that I cannot forget to mention in the final account is the Water Palace, water garden, and palace of Raja which is built right on the living spring
Gili Air Island Gili Air Island Gili Air Island

very romantic moment
of Tirtagnga. It was built by a rich nobleman last century as a “recreational complex,” as it’s called nowadays. While crossing a huge decorative pond on strategically placed stepping stones, watching enormous, fantastic orange carp dart in the crystal-clear water (They are ornamental, and catching them for lunch is frowned upon.), you are surrounded by dragon sculptures, little bridges, and wild plants and flowers.

Our journey has been eye-opening! If you still haven’t been to Bali and love unusual travels steeped in cultural immersion, we highly recommend you head this direction as soon as possible!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Tailed monsters from Uluvatu forestTailed monsters from Uluvatu forest
Tailed monsters from Uluvatu forest

Take care of your property)


Tot: 0.155s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0649s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb