Off the island, Kuta and Ubud!


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Bali
August 23rd 2010
Published: August 23rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Elly: Hello everybody! Sorry for not blogging sooner - internet was expensive on the island and we've been busy here in Bali. Katie left us the day before yesterday, and Claire and I are on our own. We headed to a town called Ubud after spending two days in Kuta (the Australians' magaluf!). Ubud is beautiful, and our hotel is lovely. It's set in a lush valley and is built in the style of an old hindu temple. It's been very cleverly done, and feels ancient. There are statues everywhere and we've spent a lot of time by the pool. Yesterday we went and asked at reception for a tour guide. One appeared in seconds and whisked us around one side of Bali. We were taken to a gold and silver smith, saw some wood carving, watched a traditional Balinese dance act, were driven up to have a look at a volcano, and visited a (real 11th century) hindu temple.

We're still learning how not to get ripped off by little old ladies selling sarongs, though.. After finishing our tour we were dropped off in the centre of Ubud, and then got the (free) shuttle back to the hotel. While Claire napped I sat for a long time by the pool taking in the view. Because our hotel is a little out of town it's very quiet. It's a little bit like being in a spa. In the morning the heat of the sun evaporates all the moisture sitting on the rice paddies and all the trees, so at breakfast we sit outside in a glistening tropical mist - which is lovely! And of course it's wonderfully hot. Claire now rivals the Indonesians tan-wise, and I've achieved a faint white line where my bikini sits. Well done me.

Claire: Ha I'd like to point out that Elly indeed has a 'glow' to her which I think is very impressive! Also my 'nap' as Elly so delicately put it, was due to recovering from quite a horrendous bout of food poisoning! I'm still not 100% and it only saddens me that I'm missing out on the Indonesian food!

We're heading back to Kuta tomorrow to sort out our travel plans to Komodo. We currently have 2 sets of flights booked for the same day, but I'm sure after a little explanation it should be sorted. So the plan will be: 2 more nights in Kuta from tomorrow, then a short plane to LabuanBajo in Flores, where we'll spend three nights, and island hop during the day, with a little big lizard spotting and a couple of dives off what are rumoured to be the best dive spots in the world!

Also today we set out on a mini-adventure, looking for a monkey forest... After an air-conditioned ride into town, we were pointed in the right direction of the jungle, and set about on a rather hot walk. Eventually we came across macaques and so knew that we were in the right place! We leisurely strolled around the 'park' and eventually set off to find refreshments... Lunch turned out to be a Kir royal and a Pina Colada, oh and some peanuts, you know us, always trying to save a couple of quid for the next adventure...

Right now with this rather late-arriving blog, we're off to hunt for dinner!

Need I say 10 days?

Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 8; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0455s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb