Bali


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Bali
June 6th 2008
Published: June 22nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Bali is Indonesia's most popular tourist destination, famed for it's beatiful beaches, great surf and nightlife. Throw in a few hawkers selling cheap t-shirts, fake watches and DVDs for flavour.

The beaches really where nice, and once again I tried my hand at surfing. Not all that hard, with the waves at Kuta beeing perfect for beginners.

Bali is not only a beach holiday destination, with plenty of other activities on offer inland. I did the white water rafting, which was a good fun for an afternoon. The rapid's weren't the biggest, but constant, with stunning scenery along the way.

I also decided to visit the Komodo National Park, home to the Komodo Dragons, giant lizards that can grow up to 3m. To get to the national park I had to fly to Flores, and from there take a boat to the islands of Rinca and Komodo, the only place in the world where the Dragon's are to be found. The bite of a Komdo Dragon can be lethal, due to the bacteria in it's saliva, so the only way to see them is by trekking on the island with rangers, armed with long sticks should the dragons feel like eating some foreign meat.

On the first island, Rinca, we saw quite a few Dragons, mainly beeing lazy and suntanning, however we didn't see any of them on Komodo island itself. Mating season had just started, so I guess the dragons had better things to do than pose for tourists...

Back to Bali, I spent my last few days in SE Asia relaxing, before heading back to a winty Cape Town.









Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



Tot: 0.034s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0162s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb