Boracay to Bali


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Bali
November 8th 2007
Published: November 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Rob thinks he has a monkey on his back!!Rob thinks he has a monkey on his back!!Rob thinks he has a monkey on his back!!

At Erras Bar & Grill, Manila.
Reluctantly our time in Boracay had come to an end. After trying many restaurants on the beach strip we concluded the best food was at the Sports Bar Formula 1 Restaurant (an unlikely name for a restaurant with such good food and presentation - just ask Donna about the grouper with mustard sauce, mmm). When we were photographing some of our dishes, the chef came over to introduce himself (5 star hotel quality and presentation). We recommend this as the best quality for value in Boracay. Meals, entrees and drinks for two typically came to 800 php - AUD$20!

On Sunday 28 Oct we left the Tonglen hotel by motorbike side-car taxi, boat across to Caticlan and 1.5 hr bus trip to Kalibo airport for our flight to Manila. Next time we come to the Philippines we will enter and exit through Cebu City rather than Manila. You learn these things as you go! Apparently there are some lovely islands and beaches around the island of Bohol and the Cebu area as well.

So, back in Manila - well what can you say about this city - filthy, unsafe - but we make the most of it. The Malate Pensionne was our safe haven (once you passed their two security staff who were on duty at the door 24/7). While enjoying good cheap food and drinks at the nearby Erras Bar & Grill (don't think that it is any great restaurant, its just some canvas stretched over a metal frame on the side of the street, with interesting open air toilets at the back).

Rob kept thinking he had a monkey on his back so Donna took pictures to relieve his concerns (see pics). Spent the next day wandering around the shopping centres - particularly the air-con in the huge Robinson Mall. The security (full body pat down on entry) was extra high because of the blast at the nearby Glorietta 3 Shopping Centre - no not terrorists as it turns out.

A 4.30am start next morning, 5.30am taxi ride to the PhilTranco bus station in Paysay for a 2 hour bus trip to Clark airport to catch a 3.5 hour Air Asia flight to Kuala Lumpur. Airport security was so tight that they confiscated both of our fold-up umbrellas (we could have snapped off the spokes and used it as a sword?) and two toothpicks that Rob had in his pocket - dangerous, pointed implements! Luckily the umbrellas were only $1 numbers purchased in Beijing when we were caught in the rain and not Donna's brand new automatic pop-up one purchased in Singapore!!

We opted to stay in a rather expensive hotel just minutes from KL International Airport rather than travel all the way into KL and back out to the airport again the next morning to get our flight to Bali. Next time we come to the low cost terminal at KL air Asia will have its own budget hotel at the terminal which will be great for early morning flights.

We arrived in Bali at 1940hrs, were met at the airport by staff from Sorga Hotel (Poppies Gang 1 Kuta). We booked this from a Lonely Planet recommendation and we are happy to say that this time they got it right!

The Sorga Hotel has a great pool, good size double room, air-con, TV, etc for 225,000 rupiah - AUD$26 per night, including breakfast. Set in a delightful Balinese garden with temple and restaurant. A ganglan group plays music at sunset while you swim in the pool and enjoy an ale or three at happy hour!!

We haven't been in Bali for 10 years - but early indications are that there are more restaurants, more shopping and more things to do. More in the next blog.


Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Sports Bar Formula 1 Restaurant Sports Bar Formula 1 Restaurant
Sports Bar Formula 1 Restaurant

The prawns thermidor were delicious
Shooters Security - ManilaShooters Security - Manila
Shooters Security - Manila

Makes you feel safe, huh?
Tia Maria's - ManilaTia Maria's - Manila
Tia Maria's - Manila

We ate here quite a bit too!!
Sorga Hotel, BaliSorga Hotel, Bali
Sorga Hotel, Bali

Our room, downstairs near the pool


Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 62; dbt: 0.06s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb