Bali, Indonesia


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Bali
May 24th 2007
Published: May 24th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Mark & I are spending 2 weeks in Bali for our 20th anniversary. Bali lies in one of the geologically most active regions on earth, part of the Pacific Rim's great "ring of fire". Bali is one in a chain of islands which stretches some 2200 miles from Sumatra to Flores and which marks the point where the Australian tectonic plate is being forced beneath the Eurasian plate at a rate of two inches each year. It is located 8 degrees south of the Equator. The Balinese people believe they have descended from Gods. That there are good and evil spirits that dwell on this Island. The 17,000 islands that make up Indonesia is the 4th largest nation in the world. The largest Muslim nation, but the Island of Bali is still Hindu/Buddhist. We will be spending 5 days at an ocean front resort in southern Bali. The next 6 will be in the center of the Island in a town called Ubud. It has long been known as the 'village of painters" On the way to Ubud we will be travelling through many villages famous for craft production and performing arts. Each village in central Bali produces the same thing. One village is a woodcarving village, stone carving village, gold & silver smithing, textile weaving, wooden mask makers, gong makers, puppets, painters, traditional dancers & making traditional instruments. We will be exploring many ancient temples along the way.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0311s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb