November 7th, 2017 – Singapore to November 13th with 3 stops in Indonesia!


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Bali
November 29th 2017
Published: November 29th 2017
Edit Blog Post

We had 2 days to explore the wonderful island/country of Singapore, an incredible modern and dynamic city. The first day we arrived and went directly to Little India where we sat under cover enjoying some delicious Indian food (not Darold’s favorite but we had no other choice as the buckets of rain fell) that was simply served on a sheet of paper. Our day was filled with shopping in street markets, riding the flyer (a large Ferris Wheel with incredible views), watching the light shows on both sides of the unique and amazing development of the Marina Bay Sands (3 towers with what looks like a huge cargo ship resting above the towers) and ending our evening in Chinatown for dinner and nightlife. The next day we took a river cruise to see the famous SeaLion and other historical sites including Raffles Hotel. It was well worth the time and it gave a great overview of the city and its colorful history.



Our first port of Semarang, Indonesia was a literal breathtaking and heart stopping adventure. We took a bus with a police escort to Borobudur, the largest Buddhist monument in the Southern Hemisphere. We held our breath as the police car would pull out with sirens and lights flashing into the oncoming traffic of the narrow 2 lane highway parting the large trucks, cars and scooters as our bus sped through. We would look out to see inches to spare on either side of our bus between the big trucks as our bus maintained its speed. Borobudur was amazing! It was like a large story book of reliefs located on ten terraces symbolizing the path to Nirvana. At the top is the Great Stupa, where you should have reached enlightenment but it served as an incredible view for the many tourists from all over the world.





Next stop was Benoa, Bali where Darold and I treated ourselves to a healing massage in a decadent spa filled with flowers and serenity. We then spent the afternoon at a sandy beach enjoying the zen of this lovely spiritual island. Last stop was Kodomo Island the home of the gigantic Komodo Dragons!


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.216s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0533s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb