Bali - Sidemen - Day 3


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Bali » Sidemen
April 10th 2024
Published: April 10th 2024
Edit Blog Post

When we arrived last night it was pitch black and we couldn't see the view at all.

It was amazing to wake up to the most picturesque beautiful view and it looked even better than in the photos shown when booking.

The room is huge, the view couldn't get any better and it's so peaceful. Just the sounds of frogs, crickets, birds and the ocassional rooster.

The perfect choice!

We headed for breakfast and had the most amazing smoothie bowl. Both Louie and I loved it. The juice here is amazing. Louie had watermelon juice and I Dragon fruit juice. The restaurant also has the perfect view.

We then headed into town which is a good 30 min walk up hill. Yes we are so unfit it nearly killed us to the point Louie kept saying we should hire a scooter.

We'd missed Sidemen markets as they shut at 9am so wondered around. There are so many cute Warungs to dine at.

Unfortunately Sidemen is spoilt by the rubbish lying everywhere. All the sides of the streets (gutters/waterways) are filthy and in some parts smelly.

They claim its the tourists however there seems to be zero rubbish service so locals drop rubbish wherever they are.

We headed to a Warung for lunch and had Balinese Jisstaffen which was so good. All for $6.50 each. Amazing service as usual.

We were incredibly lucky to witness a cremation ceremony. This is exactly the cultural experience I crave. What an experience.

The Balunese believe in reincarnation so this was a celebration and a happy time. So different to our own culture. The kids were having a great time, the drums were playing.

The walk through the streets was nerve wracking at times as they lifted the electricity wires high in the air so they could pass.

Once we arrived, the kids ran around with the corpse which was really weird. It was like a big game and they were having so much fun.Id love to understand more about this ritual.

Apparently after the cremation they come back and family take handfuls of the ashes to throw in the river.

We then headed back to the hotel for a 90 min massage. The ladies couldn't understand a word but it meant a very peaceful relaxing massage. We could do this every day. So relaxing Louie think he slept through half of it.

Again we headed out to a different Warung and again we weren't disappointed. The food here is to die for. I'd cone back just for the food 😋.




Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 11; qc: 36; dbt: 0.023s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb