Things we have learned...


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India
October 4th 2015
Published: October 14th 2015
Edit Blog Post

After spending one month in India, we have made a list of the things we have learnt along the way.

(1) It is impossible to open crisp packets, so you have to tear the corner (which no one likes doing).

(2) Men spit all the time, anywhere, with an impressive technique and produce red saliva.

(3) Gum disease is rife. It is very rare to meet anyone with what we would consider as 'good teeth'.

(4) Women find it acceptable to burp often and loudly.

(5) Cows/dogs/cats (who live on the street) are fed chapati- and love it!

(6) Men will urinate when and where they like. No exceptions.

(7) Prices given by shop owners and taxi/tuk tuk drivers should be bartered down to half of the original.

(8) If you are foreign you will pay 4 times the price at tourist attractions compared to locals.

(9) Women can skip queues, or have their own queue which is always faster.

(10) Women get 3 rows of seats at the front of the buses where men should give them a seat, otherwise they will stand (even if carrying babies).

(11) Indians don't let your plate of food become empty. They would rather wasted food than an empty plate.

(12) Chai is a million times better than tea at home.

(13) Indians never let a cup/bottle touch their lips whilst drinking.

(14) Driving in India means you toot your horn when approaching another road, when near another vehicle, when overtaking, when waiting, when crossing a roundabout, when near pedestrians, when approaching an animal. And if you want, just continuously hold the horn down to cover all of the above.

(15) When driving in India and approaching a queue of traffic, the aim is to never actually stop moving forward, no matter what is blocking the traffic.

(16) Vegetarian food is better than non vegetarian.

(17) Bins do not exist. As soon as you are finished with something, simply drop it at your feet. This is completely acceptable.

(18) Leave your cows/goats/pigs to roam the streets as there is a very small chance they will be harmed whilst wandering across roads.

(19) Cows will graze on piles of rubbish.

(20) Asking a white woman to hold your baby is good luck.

(21) Sit a whole family of four on a scooter, and only the driver gets a helmet.

(22) Rice will be eaten for lunch and dinner every day. Sometimes breakfast too.

(23) Putting dark black eyeliner on babies, toddlers and young children is to make them appear more beautiful.

(24) Do not wipe sweat from your face on your clothes, always carry a handkerchief.

(25) If you don't get up by 6am, you have slept in.

(26) If you don't go to sleep at 9pm, you are having a late night.

(27) You can fit up to ten children in a tuk tuk on the school run.

(28) Major building projects will be started and never finished.

(29) Indian 10 minutes = 2 hours

(30) The Edinburgh trams went relatively smooth in comparison to the Jaipur and Delhi metros (still nowhere near finished after 10 years).

(31) Rajasthani music is a gift to the eardrum.

(32) Camels definitely smell.

(33) Not all Indians are good at guessing where two Scottish tourists are from. Frequent suggestions include: Iceland, Germany, Poland and China.

(34) Indians love the name 'Susie' and remember it well. Pronounced 'sugie'. An Indian word meaning 'fat'.

(35) There is no need to step back from the platform when at a train station. You can jump down onto the platform and cross it to get to where you want to be quicker.

(36) Straight men hold hands.

(37) Power cuts occur often and are part of daily life.

(38) Food is just better.

(39) We don't think anyone owns scales as men sit on the street with them so you can weigh yourself (for 100 rupees of course).

(40) Barbers can set up shop literally anywhere.

India, we love you, and we will definitely see you in the future!


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



15th October 2015

Thanks!
I've really enjoyed reading your blog, and genuinely feel I've learned a lot about Indian culture that I didn't know before. I don't think I'll ever make it there myself, so it's been great to experience it in a sense through the eyes of someone else. Sounds like you have had an amazing time. Enjoy the rest of your travels! Stay safe. Lorraine K xx

Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0431s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb