India


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India
January 31st 2013
Published: January 31st 2013
Edit Blog Post

I beleive that the causes of poverty in India are that people work hard but do not earn enough to get ahead in their lives. In the ragpicker system there is nobody compelling people to pay for the service, basically people relly on donations for their services. Developed countries like the US have trash systems, but they are much more organized and they are paid regular wages. the overall problem is that people are not being sufficently paid for the work they do holding them back in a life of poverty.

However, it is a positive step that the government is trying to help them by suppling gloves, boots and aprons. But this is not enough, what they really need is steady wages and the proper resources to do the job. If they had money they could afford their equipment and start to get their family out.

However, what has helped India grow it's economy so rapidly is the move from socialism to a free market. Socialism created many road blocks for business such as a store could not sell just one brand of item, like a Nike or Starbucks. Since freeing up the market these stores have moved in allowing the people to get a taste of the modern world. Huge companies have also started to move into the country such as Microsoft and Yahoo, doing research only done in the US before. By having oppurtunities to work for these companies people are able to lift themselves out of poverty.

One obstacle that still stands in the way is the lingering effects of the caste system, in which people are divided into classes based on where they fall in the Hindu belief. The lowest rung of people are called untouchables and are cinsidered dirty and lower than anybody

Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0382s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb