India's "Untouchables" Face Violence, Discrimination


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India
September 25th 2011
Published: September 25th 2011
Edit Blog Post

The Dalit's are known as the "untouchables" of India because their role is to serve as the slaves of the upper class people and the outcaste of society. For instance, they do not have rights "to drink from the same wells, attend the same temples, wear shoes in the presence of an upper caste, or drink from the same cups in tea stalls" (Narula). They have to face strong discrimination and "live in constant fear of being publicly humiliated, paraded naked, beaten, and raped with impunity by upper-caste Hindus seeking to keep them in their place". Their human rights are taken away because they are born to be a Dalit. The crimes committed against the Dalits often times go unnoticed, unreported or just dismissed. The treatment of Dalits in India demonstrates the tradition of the caste system in India's society before and now.

Most people in India probably are used to the social class based on Hinduism/Caste System because the practice of the "untouchables" originated 1,500 years ago. Therefore, they would not challenge the tradition, and some people are afraid challenge the higher caste/class. People would believe that they are born to be Dalit based on their karma according to Hinduism.

The treatment of the Dalits can be related to the mistreatment of African Americans in American history. They also face discrimination and struggle to fight for their own rights against inequality.

The story about the family of Dalits that were tortured and killed because one son eloped with a daughter of a higher caste family strikes me. Also, the treatment of Dalit girls surprises me because they were forced into being prostitutes. I can't imagine if I was put into the same situation.

Questions:
1) Should social class be based on religion?
2) How should we help the Dalits without challenging their religions?
3) Do Dalits feel that they should follow their fate or do they try to fight it?

Reference: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2003/06/0602_030602_untouchables_2.html

Advertisement



Tot: 0.184s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 8; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0525s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb