Tips to save money while travelling


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India
May 19th 2011
Published: May 17th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Over the years, I've saved kinda small fortune which I would have spent on my leisure trips. Be it a local trip or going to a far away destination, these thumb rules are universal.

1. Negotiate : The thumb rule is “”if it's not listed then it can be negotiated”. meaning ? If the price you're negotiating is not fixed (listed) then it can be brought down to some extent. It works very well everywhere. A couple of bucks more in your kitty won't make you rich but it won't hurt either. Language might help a lot in this which gives an impression that you're a regular ;-)

2. Meet the locals : Though safety is the prime concern and if you don't mind taking the road less travelled then you can try your hand on meeting the locals and accepting invitation to their homes, functions, parties, social gatherings etc. Ofcourse, it's pure discretionary to take such bold decision and don't forget to tie the loose ends (inform someone where you're going and by when you'll be back).
The best thing is that if you know someone the place you're visiting then arrange the lodging, boarding well in advance.
Stonefall in mountainsStonefall in mountainsStonefall in mountains

On the way back from Malana.
Though I always vouch for travelling unplanned as it might give you that kick which brings out the real flavor of being in an unknown land away from home. I know some people who always go unplanned and have more fun than a “sugar n spice .. all things nice” trip.

3. Odd jobing : Often happens with travellers which are on a budget trip (especially students)to somewhere and an off-hand expense burns a hole in the pocket. “What now” moment dawns on them and may make the trip sour or bitter (depending on the severity .. lol). In this case “What now ” literally translates into odd jobing (I coined this phrase.. ;-) .. just now ). Be that extra farm hand, pick those grapes in vineyards or chase the hens and get a favour. You see, travelling is all about expanding the horizons and pushing the limits.

4. Hitch hiking : It's the best way to save money on commuting. Be on the safe road side, point your thumb (with a smile, ofcourse) and hope for the best. EASY ?? Well, you'll come to know!

5. Discounts : Now that's a word which rings in everyone's ears. Check with the locals and find out the best deal. Be it hotels, sight seeing, food, accomodation, shopping, anything just try your luck and you might get one night stay free. Not bad ,eh? Hostels, inns, dormitories usually offer special deals for students.

Try these wherever you are and don't forget to drop and email or comment on this blog. I think all these things work if you connect to the people around you and communicate. World is full of interesting places, people and things. What else a traveller needs ? (money is just an excuse .. cliche' ?? not really ). Adios for now.

Advertisement



18th May 2011

Try these tips.
Please lemme know if it worked for you and how in brief. My website is http://www.incredibleindia.cc The original article belongs to my website which is written by me. Checkout for more interesting articles.

Tot: 0.423s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 7; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0395s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb