Why We Love Trains and Buses (sometimes)


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India
February 22nd 2010
Published: February 22nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

???????????????

Given their holy status, we thought that cows didn't need to buy tickets.
Indian trains and buses provide a fantastic viewpoint into life on the subcontinent. The train network is the world's largest and a source of national pride with millions of people moving around everyday on a timely schedule (except when the fog moves into the north). The train cars come in all sorts of classes from overcrowded, standing room only bench seats to cushy air conditioned private compartments. We usually found something in between, and always enjoyed the busy stations, the platform vendors, and locals that we met onboard.

Buses fill in the rural gaps that the train can't reach and as a result, the ride can often be quasi-comfortable or bone-jarring, while always being crowded. Both buses and trains pick their way slowly through the countryside offering a slow moving glimpse through their open windows and doors (in the trains' case). Here are some of our sights along the way.


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Station LifeStation Life
Station Life

The stations were quite busy at night, with a lot of families sleeping on the floor. It was a combination of waiting for a train and finding a safe place to rest.
Wake Up!Wake Up!
Wake Up!

Hanging out in our 2A compartment. Cushy and A/C, the best way to spend a night on the train. A little drowsy from the early morning arrival.
Sleeping BeautySleeping Beauty
Sleeping Beauty

still sleepy
Sleeper Class BeautySleeper Class Beauty
Sleeper Class Beauty

These rides wear you out.
Best View OnboardBest View Onboard
Best View Onboard

and a great way to stay cool.
Rail Riders  Rail Riders
Rail Riders

Hopping from train to train


Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0226s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb