INDIA TO NEPAL


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India
November 29th 2009
Published: December 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Photo 1Photo 1Photo 1

We spent the first night of our trek in a bamboo hut sitting on a little grass clearing next to this river.
So campers, here we go with our first blog entry. We have been gone some eight weeks already & it almost feels like we have never been home from our last trip.

From London we flew into Delhi & spent four days seeing the sites. We had a brilliant tuk-tuk driver who took us around the city & spoke about nothing other than "making the sex", I think this guy must of wrote the Kama Sutra!!

Our hotel in Delhi was located in the Main Bazaar, which is a chaotic, grimy narrow strip lined with guest houses, cafes, tailors & souvenir stands. It really shouldn't have traffic going through it but has every imaginable mode of transport passing through, along with cows, chickens & other livestock. You really are running the gauntlet every time you walk down the street.

From Delhi we caught an overnight train north & crossed the border into Nepal. We then caught a local bus, driven by what looked like a boy of about 12, with Avril Lavigne posters pasted all over the ceiling & full of all the drivers mates, most of which were wearing Britney Spears t-shirts (something that seems to be
Home for the night.Home for the night.Home for the night.

This is a typical hillside village on the first few days of the trek.
very

We arrived in a small, dusty township called Lumbini. This place is recognised as the birth place of Buddha & as a result there is a huge park with temples & monasteries represented by every Asian Buddhist country...& a couple, bizarrely, from France & Germany. We hired a couple of bikes to explore the miles of dirt roads within the complex, which was tough going due to the heat & the fact that both bikes were permanently stuck in about 28th gear & the saddle was like sitting on a sack of squirrels!!

After a couple of days we felt ready to start our mammoth trek, so headed for the gateway city of Pokhara. Once there we actually realised that we wasn't quite ready & decided to chill out for a few days. The city is hugged on one side by a huge lake & the other side is lined by the towering Himalayan Mountains.

Eventually we muscled up the energy to adorn our hiking boots & hit the trail. A bumpy, ball breaking bus journey lead us to the starting point. Once there, we again realised that we weren't quite ready, so checked into a
Hungry???Hungry???Hungry???

Herdsman, preparing yak head stew for supper.
hotel & watched movies & ate somosas & momos (Tibetan fried dumplings). The next day we knew it was now or never so got up raring to go, shouldered our backpacks, sharpened our walking sticks & off we jolly well trolleyed. After about 1 hour we were aware we had packed far too much stuff & realised this was going to be tougher than we thought..(turned out between us we were carrying over 35KG!!!-that's 26KG by Rosey & 9KG by me).

Basically the trek involves walking 300km around the Annapurna mountain range, through various types of terrain. It's one of the world’s classic walks & offers fantastic scenery & cultural diversity. The walk begins through grassland & pastures of rice paddies & marijuana fields, alongside a roaring river. Eventually the path becomes rockier & passes through pine & fir forests, gaining altitude all the time. Along the way you reach various ethnic villages where there is always somewhere to get some food & a bed for the night. After a few days the mountains come into view & the valley sides become littered with yaks & mountain goats. The vegetation starts to thin & the landscape becomes more alpine.
Tibetan boy...or girl... we wasn't sure.Tibetan boy...or girl... we wasn't sure.Tibetan boy...or girl... we wasn't sure.

This child knew one word of english...."chocolate".
After 10 days we crossed the snow capped Thorung La pass at a ridiculous 5416 meters (about 4 times the height of Ben Nevis, 600M higher than Mount Blanc), where every step draws the last atom of oxygen from your lungs & it feels like you are breathing with a plastic bag over your head. From then on it's down, down, down as you descend into the desert like Tibetan style scenery & eventually into apple orchards & millet fields only to have your heart broken as you reach the end of the trek & face the biggest single climb, an elevation gain of 1700M up to Poon Hill for the most amazing panoramic views.

After 18 days we completed our trek & headed back to the city for a very well earned beer, steak & massage.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

We are the knights that say..."NEE!!!"We are the knights that say..."NEE!!!"
We are the knights that say..."NEE!!!"

This stone walled village on the valley floor was like something out of Monty Pythons Holy Grail.
Author & wife, on top of the world.Author & wife, on top of the world.
Author & wife, on top of the world.

Stupid place to hang out your laundry....it'll never dry, far too cold.


7th December 2009

Hello Darlings, your trip looks amazing. The photo's on facebook blew me away. So Jealous. Me and Orrin are off on Wednesday so look hopefully we'll have a few adventures of our own. Hope we find a 'talk about the sex' Tuk Tuk driver ;0) xxxx
7th December 2009

miss you!
you describe your travels sooo well mr cheeks,i felt like i was there with you.sounds fantastic! you will be reading mine soon.love to you both XX
7th December 2009

what you up to on the 18th
were all off to london on 18th you up for it ? looks like your having a great time cheeks, i'm very impressed with the trek you completed it must of been hell in that taxi. Hopefully see you on the 18th safe treking. love stu xx

Tot: 0.267s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.174s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb