day 6


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India
October 23rd 2009
Published: October 23rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

today yet another early start, nimrod the driver seemed to not be his usual self ... we were off to pushkar which he said was a 5 hour journey but it didnt seem it on the map..... we had a puncture about 1/2 an hour into the journey and as you can see from the photos (to follow) he wasnt happy, he looked like bella when he got turned down for the school basketball team because of his feet ...... they were 18 inches too near his head ... we saw a couple of accidents one (in photo) must have been a woman driver just ran the lorry into the concrete barriers of the toll station, why you'd bother trying to do a runner it was only 5 rupees.

the last 30 minutes of the journey were an absolute nightmare, nimrod wouldnt go above 70 mph on the motorway but maintained the same speed whatever the road conditions and as the annual mela was due in pashkar on the 26th there were camels and all sorts on the very poor roads going into the town .... it was very scary.
we booked into the hotel and i had a swim it was looking very good. now pashkar is a beautiful little town on a large lake where the pilgrims come to have a dip in the holy waters and wash away their sins, so there are ghats all around the lake, 15 i think, which are stairs leading into the lakes where they go into the water and they have a little temple at the top of the stairs. the guide recommends the sunset bar at the side of the lake so that when the sun goes down the lights come on and twinkle in the lake.... very romantic.
one problem .... theres no longer any water in the lake just a huge hole where the lake used to be and they dont know what has happened to the water so all the restaurants and hotels that are called lake this and that may have to change their names as there is no rain until the monsoon next july
laters

Advertisement



Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0249s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb