Temple-tastic Hampi


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India
October 22nd 2009
Published: October 22nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

HampiHampiHampi

View.
We (Dee, Holly and Ben) got an early morning train from Margoa (main town in South Goa) to Hospet (a little town, in nextdoor Karnatika state). We got the cheap tickets (poor person sleeper class unfortunately, it was hot, we got stared at but we survived) and it took about 7.5 hours.

Hospet is nothing to speak of. The streets are full of litter, people sleeping on the pavements and going for a poo in public and we saw a dead dog (boo). The train station was very busy and in the chaos Holly experienced her first boob grope of the trip (one of the crap things you have to put up with if you are a Western female travelling in India). Having survived, just, the 3 of us squeezed ourselves, 6 huge rucksacks and 2 drivers into a tiny tuktuk and headed off to Hampi....the reason we had come all this way!

We found a nice guesthouse in the village Hampi Bazaar (Suresh Guesthouse) and spent a couple of days exploring the hundreds and hundreds of Hindu temples and the rocky landscape Hampi has to offer. Hampi is a lovely sleepy little place and everything closes at 10pm.
HampiHampiHampi

Dee & Temple
It is also seen as a very holy place because of all the temples so you can't get meat or beer here. It was Diwali festival of light while we were in Hampi and it was nice to see the locals decorate thelr shops and houses with marigold and chrysanthemum flowers, oil lamps, inscence and banana leaves. Not as nice to be there when they set off thousands of firecrackers at night (we can only imagine it's like being in a war zone!), but all good fun. It was the excited children setting the fireworks alight.......I'm certain I was never allowed to light rockets when I was 4 years old. Safety isn't a word used often in India it seems.

We really loved it in Hampi, but we couldn't linger.......no beer! So then another hot train back to the Goan coast (we stayed in Colva, Benidorm for Indians!) and started of our journey to Kerela in the South.




Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

HampiHampi
Hampi

Gateway to temples
HampiHampi
Hampi

Holy Cow!
HampiHampi
Hampi

Street in Hampi Bazaar
HampiHampi
Hampi

Ganesh Elephant God temple
HampiHampi
Hampi

Virupaksha Temple
HampiHampi
Hampi

Thousands of these rocks everywhere
HampiHampi
Hampi

Virupaksha temple complex in the centre of Hampi Bazaar
HampiHampi
Hampi

The long main street in Hampi
HampiHampi
Hampi

Shops and tuktuk
HampiHampi
Hampi

The river in Hampi, still very high after the recent rains and flooding
HampiHampi
Hampi

Bathtime
HampiHampi
Hampi

Us and a banana plantation on the way to the lovely Mango Tree cafe
HampiHampi
Hampi

Us and a hyperactive India family on holiday from Mumbai who wanted their photo taken with us!
HampiHampi
Hampi

Holly and Ben writing postcards at the Mango Tree
HampiHampi
Hampi

Got trapped by these gurus who insisted we had photos with them, nice people.......cost us 150 rupees for the pleasure!
HampiHampi
Hampi

Beautiful Lotus temple, part of the Royal Palace complex
HampiHampi
Hampi

Royal Elephant stable block
HampiHampi
Hampi

Elephant stables, no elephants though


Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0726s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb