Travel Tips for Women Traveling to India


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India
May 16th 2020
Published: May 16th 2020
Edit Blog Post

India is a dream destination for most people. However, it is not an easy destination - it is chaotic, overwhelming, exasperating, and tumultuous. In recent years, it has earned the reputation of being not so safe for women, especially in Delhi. I am a resident of Delhi and have been living there for the past thirty years. I know Delhi and India are not-so-safe, but if you are careful and take a few precautions, you will be absolutely fine.

The female tourists find things all the more difficult in India because they are seen as easy targets. It is, therefore, necessary to take a few precautions while traveling in India.


• Try to avoid secluded areas and don't roam around at night.
• Avoid traveling alone at night in taxis/ auto-rickshaws / public transport.
• Be conservative in your dressing and avoid showing too many legs, shoulders, or cleavage
• Always carry a mobile phone and take an Indian Sim with an active data pack. Keep the emergency numbers handy.
• Don’t be over-friendly with men. The Indian men are not used to it and it may give the wrong signals.
• Do your research and stay only at reputed and safe hostels/hotels. Don’t stay at empty or secluded lodgings.
• If someone is persistent or looks dangerous, don’t hesitate to call for help.
• Learn some Hindi. It will make things easier and you will feel more comfortable.
• If anyone asks you for selfies or pictures, say no. Unless they are kids or families.
• Don’t give money to beggars. They will keep hounding you.
• Be vigilant and careful and don’t trust anyone blindly, especially the guides, taxi drivers, rickshaw drivers, etc. Do not reveal too much to anyone about your plans.
• Listen to travel advisories and avoid those areas. Is it better if you do not go off the beaten path if you are traveling solo?
• Always listen to your instincts and follow them. It is right most of the time.
• Don’t ignore eve-teasing. It can turn dangerous sometimes. So take action immediately
• Always carry some cash with you but do not carry valuables.
• It is always better to travel in groups. If you gave a male with you, it would be much safer.
• If you can opt for group tours, it would solve all your problems
• Download India safety apps like Himmat, Shake2Safety, My Safetipin.
• Be confident and firm and don’t show your insecurities and fear to anyone.
• Keep a friend or family informed about your whereabouts and location at all times.


If you follow these tips, I think you will be able to deal with all the issues which women tourists face in India. So don’t be frightened by the media hype. Stay focused, follow these tips and have a safe and amazing vacation in India.

Takeoffwithme

Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0345s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb