hello from Raiganj


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » West Bengal
July 11th 2008
Published: July 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Father Puthami has been kind enough to let me use his computer. The Indian countryside is very beautiful. All the land is used for rice patties and growing jute. Raiganj is a one stop light town, but in India they are not very fond of stop lights, so this is not saying much. It has a population of about 100 thousand. Today we visited the ruins of the Adani Mosque. It was to be a huge building, but was never completely finished. Very beautiful and ornate carvings everywhere. Already more than 100 years old before the Spaniards came to America. There were some locals hanging out in the ruins who were very interested in the four American women Father Puthami and I were with. I've gotten good at adopting the countenance and mannerisms of someone who is friendly in a dangerous way. Of course, 4 women in burkas or four albinos in bikkinis taking pictures at Qwest field would get stared at, so no hard feelings.

While getting some money changed in Kolkata, I had a good chat with the proprietor of the establishment. We talked about economics and politics. He seemed to think Hillary Clinton was still in the race. I was more interested in Indian parliamentary politics. Right now, the government is facing a vote of no confidence from the Left parties (their former allies) over the US/India nuclear deal. There may be elections here soon. The moneychanger in Kolkata was cynical about the whole political process. He said it would be much easier if there was just one political party to run everything. Of course, the problem is which one? The BJP would never be accepted by religious minorities or secular Hindus, and Congress is too committed (in theory) to pluralistic democracy. Perhaps this moneychanger, the very epitome of a "societal leech", was a Communist? West Bengal is run by the CPI (M). India is full of such contradictions.

I'm happy that I'm going to be able to stay in contact with you all over the next week. The only danger I seem to be in is from obesity from all the food that is being fed to me. As he said though, best to eat now because you never know when your next meal will be. This is a good jumping off point to explain how this country, in many ways, seems to be a
At the MosqueAt the MosqueAt the Mosque

Katie, Jamie, Myself, Alicia, Meaghan
manifestation of certain character traits and personal philosophies of mine.

1) Same attitude to food (any of my old room mates know my disbelief in food property rights, because you never know when you will suddenly face a starvation situation).
2) It is socially acceptable to urinate on the side of the road.
3) People are deeply spiritual, but in a very pluralistic and tolerant fashion.
4) No body seems to be in much of a hurry.
5) Nothing goes to waste here. (not necessarily street) people dig through garbage to find useful items.
6) All the music is Indian.
7) People are cynical, in a optimistic sort of way.
8) All meals can be eaten with the (right) hand.

Advertisement



11th July 2008

Indian Music
when you get to a music store look for the score of the clarinet solo "Raga Music" by John Mayer
11th July 2008

Have you ever heard the urinating cab driver story from me or Sonia? If you haven't when we were in Manila, Philippines we were taking a cab to a house. We were stuck in terrible traffic. Our cab driver got out of his cab and peed on the side of the road, very blase and like this was nothing special.
12th July 2008

Hello Brendan!
I've read allmost all blogs written by you. I'm an Indian. I've lived all my life here in Burdwan(60miles from Kolkata). I think your blog is the 'real picture' of India. Many thinks(who never been to India) that India means Software capital of the world, Outsourcing hotspot etc. I don't like many things and bad habits of Indians. Like cruelty on dogs and other animals. Anyway, Yes I agree with the moneychanger view on politics. Only one party should run the country. But I think British should recolonise this country and rule untill we will be a devloped country.
14th July 2008

ah Pritam, you should be careful when taking about the British in a positive light to someone of Irish ancestry! Thanks for reading my blog, I appreciate your comments and thoughts. Please look at this link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/7460682.stm
18th September 2008

Hello from Raiganj
I was searching some thing about my home town and found your blog. Thanks for sharing those pictures. "Ruins of the Adina Mosque" is very nice.
1st December 2009

superb.
the pics r awesome..u people r also very cute...
20th June 2010

dfd

Tot: 0.162s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 66; dbt: 0.086s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb