some main points


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » West Bengal » Kolkata
November 19th 2008
Published: November 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

i am having a harder and harder time trying to find things to say on this... i keep on writing stuff that just turns out to be dumb and unthoughtful recounts of stuff that's happened to me lately.

-now there are four, you know that already, i think. the students on this program that aren't from K college have left for travels and home already. which was odd. now there are just four of us...and i can't get over it.

-made finalized plans for Darjeelign and Sikkim; we leave December 2 which means that I have less that two weeks left of school. Whoo hoo.

-People in India love sweater vests. It's been kind of cooler here lately. By cooler i mean ... maybe 77 in the morning and 85 during the day..and when we go to the park to run in the morning, EVERY old man is wearing shorts, a t shirt, a SWEATER VEST and a wool scarf. sometiems wrapped around his head. what? I mean, it's cool but it's not cold. And it's still kind of hot. I guess I'm just from Michigan.

-The four of us have turned into creepy dog watchers. We can't seem to focus on anything worth our time right now (school and work has left us in need of a vacation which we will soon get) and we're obsessed with the stray dog family taht lives outisde of our house. there is a whole family scenario going on with names and occupations and lots of ridiculous assumptions.

-Uncle Roy has been nearly MIA from the scene lately. AFter Roxana left, his favorite host child, he kind of just leaves BArret and I alone. Which is fine...our patience is too thin to probably be polite and cordial all of the time when talking to him.

-It is getting harder and harder for me to try and think about and feel ok about some of the work I've been doign in Kolkata, specifically for this idolized nun. I can't really extrapolate on it now, but I sort of feel like Im working for a celebrity who is revered around the world, and probably by a lot of my catholic family, as this epic server of the poor. And we all know, yeah, that book was published of her journals and she totally doubted God and etc etc... I mean who doesn't? But there is something almost too... anti-social progress...about the work i've been doing. And sure, Mother Teresa wouldn't consider herself a social worker, she was just reilgious and was working for Jesus through people and through suffering, and she tried her hardest to save babies.... and all of these things... People think of her as this savior of Kolkata and they want to go work for her to save people or humanity or something, when they could be doing the same thing, in a different guise in their own back yard. And the "clean up work", so to speak, that one does when working at least at the Home for the Destitue and Dying, is really disheartening. It's not progressive. It'snot fighting for change, it's not grass roots or working to prevent these kinsd of sad situations of abandoned and family-less people lying all around the city. It's just doing the pick up, which is noble and important, too, but there's not humanity-love happening, the way i thought there would be. it's very different. it's getting into the heart of the problem, and the sludge that is leftover, but it's not addressing the problem.

make sense? probably not.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0369s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb