Get that India!


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » West Bengal » Kolkata
February 5th 2007
Published: February 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Get that India!

Well, Clare bear and I have finally left London - Clare after 6 years and me after 2 to head out on our 5 month journey through India, Sri Lanka and Asia.

Leaving London was as expected - sad, chaotic and alcohol fuelled - as we packed up our belongings, gadgets and gizmo's a plenty, had our 300 pounds worth of immunization shots (well getting a rabies shot is always better than actually getting rabies) and packed our 20 kilogram packs of toiletries to head south to our first point of call - Kolkata.

After an all-nighter in London, thanks to the crazy She Bu crew, boxing and shipping all of our worldly possessions still in our going-out clothes this was not an ideal start to the 24 hour journey that lay ahead! After a stop-over in Dubai, we arrived weary-eyed and in great need of a shower to wash away our aeroplane marinade. We were lucky to have booked a mid-range hotel which actually had warm water and a toilet seat!

The following day we decided to stay more within our backpacker budget and checked in to the 'modern Lodge' which was anything but modern - sheets with miscellanous stains, a concrete cave for a bathroom, a toilet with no seat and no flushing device...just a bucket.....and did i mention the carboard style mattress and pillow!

Kolkata has been better than expected - very noisy, busy and poor....very few westerners about even in the traveller areas, Indian men not as bad as expected, still not our cup of Chai though....no dodgy curries thus far although just quietly, we have only eaten one indian meal, so who knows what tomorrow may bring!

15 hour train Journey tonight as we venture west to varanasi (the holy city) more stories to follow

stay tuned 😊

Advertisement



Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0341s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb