Black Feet, Black Nails, Black Snot.


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » West Bengal » Kolkata
January 25th 2007
Published: January 27th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Kolkata StreetKolkata StreetKolkata Street

A typical view of a typical small street near where we stayed.
Our first port of call, Kolkata, is not a gentle entry point for the tender western tourist! A comparison to anything I've experienced in western culture is impossible; this country is an assault on the senses but its people are as beautiful as their lives are fascinating. The city holds over 13 million people, and after a day it feels almost as if you've seen every one. Garbage lies in huge piles in the streets, where it is picked through by crows, dogs and people. Every block holds streetside vendors making and selling everything from full meals to chai tea; the tea comes in great little earthen cups which are, not suprisingly, thrown in the gutter after use. We thought we'd be safe from the attentions of the multitudes of shoe shiners (wearing pink and red thongs) but somehow they still thought we were fair game!

The markets were fantastic, as are all in my mind 😊 White skin seems to call to half the population however, and in the markets getting 10 seconds to yourself is almost unmanageable - we've learnt to be very good at saying 'NO!" quite firmly 😊

The streets were insane, as an introduction
Sam drinking ChaiSam drinking ChaiSam drinking Chai

These little cups were Rs2 each ($1AUD=34Rupees), were available everywhere, and delicious!
to Indian traffic we couldn't have asked for anything more! I've heard that driving is 90% eyesight, and for the rest you rely on hearing. I'm convinced that those numbers are reversed in India. Horns are used when passing, overtaking, changing 'lanes' (this concept is yet to be realised here), turning, trying to move in any direction, and sometimes maybe just to avoid that oppressive silence they've heard exists. It's incredible, please don't take any of this in a negative context! Somehow the system seems to work, accidents occur commonly apparently, but we've yet to see one!

We managed to get a train out of Kolkata after 2 nights, travelling on the third. The train was another experience not to be forgotten any time soon! Rumours exist of a fancier class of travel, but those we've heard so far don't paint a lasting impression. We travelled in what was, I believe, the 2nd cheapest option, which meant it was a 'sleeper', possibly known as '2nd class sleeper'. In a space of about 3m (the width of the train) by 2m, beds were provided for 8 people. With my baggage above my head I fit in with knees reasonably bent,
Garbage in KolkataGarbage in KolkataGarbage in Kolkata

This was on Sudder Street - the main budget accomodation/tourist street. As far as we can ascertain, all garbage is thrown into the street, where it is continually cleaned into these trucks.. they seem to be fighting a losing battle.
although if I wanted the bend them up instead of out they hit the bed above. Despite this, each of us managed a reasonable nights sleep; the rocking of the train was soothing and the noise covered by earphones 😊 The sleeping bags were a godsend - the center of this subcontinent gets cold at night!

To summarise our main impressions of Kolkata after just 2 days...


That's all for this blog, though more photos may come with a faster connection. Those wondering where the train was
Throwing flowers in celebrationThrowing flowers in celebrationThrowing flowers in celebration

The guy with his hand outstretched just threw a chain of fairly forlorn marigolds through our taxi window - there were plenty of trucs like this with up to (and over?) 20 people in the back drumming, singing, and throwing flowers and smiles to anyone and everyone :) This was a holiday to recognise the God of Education.
heading shall be answered in our next entry 😊


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Kolkata PanoramaKolkata Panorama
Kolkata Panorama

This shot comes from a roof top restaurant south of New Market just before sunset - photos of sunset was our aim but we didn't account for the smog! This haze has a perpetual feel to it - a few days of strong wind may help but it doesn't seem like leaving without a struggle.


28th January 2007

Sounds adventurous!
I'm pleased it is turning out as cheap as you figured - I was concerned you'd get there only to find otherwise! What's the accomodation like? Showers maybe? Or not... Take care, and have fun. R
31st January 2007

Haha!
So this is India for you...hope you guys are having a ball. Rule number one - don't go economy train travel. Watch out for the funny disease where you go all faint...not sure what it is. Happened in Agra and Pi Pi Island. Banana smoothies and an afternoon nap is the only cure. Look forward to hearing more soon :)
31st January 2007

Oh...
Forgot to tell you, those little ceramic cups also come in a Lassi size - go try that, they rock!
16th February 2007

You cheeky little monkeys! Miss you. Take millions of photos to make me jealous and get my arse over there. Love you.

Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0502s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb