Darjeeling


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » West Bengal » Darjeeling
November 2nd 2011
Published: November 2nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Given we had enjoyed a few extra-strong Tuborg beers aboard the toy train, it's safe to say we emerged from the carriage in high spirits before setting out up hill in search of accommodation. Deciding the girls should wait with the bags, chris and andy went to find a place to stay, managing to snap up an amazing deal at Hotel Maya - 400 rupees down from 800 for a clean, spacious room, well furnished and with spectacular views across the valley. After checking in we headed down the hill in search of dinner, settling at a little eatery which served good food albeit a long wait. We all then retired to bed for t.v. viewing and sleep.

With Kathmandu and a strenuous trek to Everest base camp next on the list, we decided it was time for major relaxation and recuperation. Thus the next 6 days in Darjeeling were spent shopping (coming across an amazing Ganesha mask), drinking, eating beef burgers and visiting a local hill-top monastery overrun with wild monkeys, followed by a trip to the zoo housing Himalayan black bears and red pandas, along with many other spectacular creatures. One night was also spent at Joey's Pub where we met some new Irish, American and Danish friends, not to mention a gang of Polish who were comically drunk.

Given that Wednesday was our final night together as a foursome, Gill suggested we have a departure party with booze, music and games, so the plan unfolded into a night of madness. Apart from making a quick dash to the snack man in the pouring rain, the night was spent partying in the room, not to mention being startled by the hotel man lingering on the outside balcony who chris mistaken for an alien (all the while ringing the door bell in a panic, rather than switch on the light switch whilst trying to investigate the situation).


Additional photos below
Photos: 66, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.146s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 69; dbt: 0.1079s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb