Agra, Delhi and Ravangla


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » West Bengal » Darjeeling
February 3rd 2008
Published: February 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Whoops! I'll just begin by clarifying that last blog, whilst sent from Darjeeling, featured photos from Ranthambhore National Park in Rajasthan...

So yes now we are in the hills of West Bengal. We're living it up with chocolate donuts, bacon burgers, real brewed coffee and all kinds of western stuff in the lovely hill station of Darjeeling.

A quick recap of the past week or so first:

Spent a couple of days in Agra visiting the Taj and viewing it from numerous character-filled (read grotty) rooftop restaurants around. We stayed in budget accomodation at Hotel Sheela but enjoyed the hotel's little garden and the cute and clean house doggies, Tiger and Fifi. Agra is certainly tout infested although we were surprised to find that it was not as oppressive as we had expected, perhaps we have hardened up by now. The Taj was, of course, spectacular. Strangely we found it more awesome from afar than up close. Loads of tourists around the beautifully manicured grounds all hovering around the best photo spots for that perfect shot. We enjoyed feeding sweet biscuits to the many squirrels that seem to be everywhere in India, until an old guy came racing
Silly walkSilly walkSilly walk

You have to wear these silly shoe covers if you're western.
up to thrust a piece of toast in our hands, demand that we take a photo of him showing us how to feed the squirrels, and then a tip. The museum in the Taj grounds was an unexpected highlight as it featured original plans of the Taj. We also visited the Agra fort and played chasey with the naughty monkeys that own the place. The use of marble was stunning as at the Taj, but it lacked the atmosphere that the ancient Ranthambhore fort exuded.

Headed then to Delhi, where we stayed in the gorgeous Legend Hotel International just off Paharganj. It was wonderful to enjoy the luxury of cable TV, delicious room service and plush bedding. Casey even had his own curtained nook, like a little Raj. We did no sight-seeing whatsoever and just relaxed. We celebrated James' birthday with a big birthday breakfast and shopping around Palaka Bazaar, a huge underground bazaar in Connaught Place where the locals shop. It was lots of fun and we found all sorts of goodies - gameboy games for Casey and essential oils for us.

We then prepared for our marathon across India to Sikkim in the far north-west. Awoke at three in the morning to catch a flight to Kolkatta, then a flight from Kolkatta to Bagdogra, then a five hour jeep ride up into the mountains, lurching all the way, except for Casey who had a nice nap. We arrived to a blackout in Ravangla in the cold dead of night (about 6pm) to the astonishment of the hotel manager, who couldn't believe we'd turn up at this hour. Everyone in Ravangla goes to bed at about 5.30 apparently. He quickly ushered us into our cosy esky, whoops, I mean room, and then told us to make haste to Chinthang restaurant, surely the only place open at this late hour, where we froze for a further hour. After a hearty meal of fried rice we stepped out to find it was raining as well as freezing and tried our best to run back up the hill in the blackout, to our hotel, the cold thin air a shock to our lazy lungs. After jumping straight into bed in the cold and dark for a little while, the hotel manager came pounding excitedly down the hall - the power was back on. We all jumped for joy, switched on the hot water geyser and the tiny electric heater and giggled with exhilaration to be safe and sound and nearly not freezing...





Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Viva Las DelhiViva Las Delhi
Viva Las Delhi

Arakashan Rd near Paharganj
Ravangla Ravangla
Ravangla

Buying up big at Ravangla market - while it hails
The clouds clearThe clouds clear
The clouds clear

Mt Kangchendzonga appears
I really love monksI really love monks
I really love monks

Enjoying the view at Ralang monestry, near Ravangla, where we first encountered the strange broth
Quick, get the washing out!Quick, get the washing out!
Quick, get the washing out!

exclaimed everyone in sikkim


4th February 2008

Birthday Palaka!
Happy Birthday James! Casey your photos are excellent. I hope you didn't bite the Raj. Isn't he the King of India? I meant to say Taj but by now you will know that it is made of lollies. The photo of you and Jiminy Cricket at the Great Building was very nice. I am so impressed you are actually there, in your nice puffy shoes. Mt Kangchendzonga looks grand and the photos of Ralang and the monks are terrific. Did you have a chat with the monks? The ones I met in Northbridge were very friendly. Did they complain about the cold? It looks amazing up in the high country. I was wondering if you can live at the Legend Hotel International? I think I would like to stay there for six months or more. You are now in the north west at Sikkim. How is that going? Casey you can wear two beanies at once. It will make you head look bigger but you must keep your ears warm. Palaka Bazaar breakfast: James you are the quintessential rugged Australian expat journo type. In pony news, the race horse got out this morning and went down the road to his favourite grassy patch. Mister Pebbles (real name Pippin) has been whinnying like mad to get him to come home. He loves Cheeko. It has been raining everyday and our tanks are filling up. More photos please. What are you doing in Sikkim other than being in a James Bond film, replete with Jeeps and an ink black village? Casey, did you get to keep your puffy shoes?

Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0526s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb