Darjeeling: food, culture and more..


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » West Bengal » Darjeeling » Gurdum
March 26th 2018
Published: March 26th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Best place to stay in Darjeeling

Chamong Tea Garden, Simana Basti, Darjeeling-734216, West Bengal, India

tea estate resorts in darjeelingtea estate resorts in darjeelingtea estate resorts in darjeeling

tea estate resorts in darjeeling
Darjeeling is a place of cultural amalgamation. It is the home for Bengalis, Nepalis, Lepchas, Bhutias, Sikkimese, Assamese and so on. For the reason, the food habit of Darjeeling localities reflects a mixture of various tastes. Visiting Darjeeling, therefore, can be a treat for any foodie who loves to experience various dishes and wishes to discover more while on a trip.

Most of the Darjeeling’s restaurants cater tourists from across the globe, and the majority of them are from West Bengal. Many resorts in Darjeeling serve local delicacies and become one of the most favorite resorts for the tourists who visit here. There are a number of specialized and multi-cuisine fine dining restaurants that are able to cater food for all the taste buds.

The staple food here are potatoes, rice and noodles, however, their food is made without much oil or spices. You would not get food items like coconuts or specific Indian spices & herbs here. Food items are sometimes much spicy like chutneys served with momos.

One of the most famous snacks is Momo. You can find some good momo outlets in West Bengal too. Momos are nothing but flour dumplings that are stuffed with various vegetables or meats. While the veg momos have stuffings of shredded carrots, cabbages, cheeses, corns, etc, non-veg momos usually have pork or chicken filling. One can get a wide variety of momos and include in them are fried momos, streamed momos, chocolate stuffed momos, and so on. If you are staying in one of the tea bungalows in Darjeeling make sure to taste the local delicacies there.

Thukpa is a Tibetan food that is an ideal dish for the chilly weather of Darjeeling. It is nothing but hot soup with noodles that also have add-ons like eggs, meat, vegetables and so on. Thukpa is served in a big bowl and it acts as a starter before the main course. A similar food item is Wai Wai which is prepared with Hakka noodles with a soup.

Alur Dum made in Nepalese style is one of the most favorite dishes here. It is considered as a side dish and is served with any bread, rice or alone.



So here’s a brief list of few favorite snacks of Darjeeling. Do taste these dishes when you are going to Darjeeling!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.164s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0969s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb