Just 4000 Meters till the top . . .


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Uttarakhand » Rishikesh
April 3rd 2006
Published: April 25th 2006
Edit Blog Post

MOUNTAINSMOUNTAINSMOUNTAINS

Our first look at those stunning mountains, and our first realization that we were actually going to try to climb those??
A little behind on my travel blogs, but do not worry, now that I'm traveling by myself I'll have plenty of time to catch up!
Going back three weeks ago . . .
We were still in India, still in Rishikesh, seems like a lifetime ago on a different planet. Rachel, Jordana and I had planned to go on a four day Himalayan trek to climb a mountain peak which reached a little more than 4,000 meters (the highest mountain peak in Lake Tahoe is at Heavenly, and is ONLY 3068 meters tall!).
We had our guide Mokesh to lead us through beautiful mountains, remote villages and deep valleys. Despite cold weather, hail and rain, we reached our peak on the fourth day! It was exhilarating.
Here are my pictures from that event, enjoy!
Next Destination: Bangkok, Thailand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Love,
Erin


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Village HouseVillage House
Village House

Mountain village house, so cute
TrioTrio
Trio

Day One: We don't look that bad yet. . .
View From Day One CampView From Day One Camp
View From Day One Camp

Imagine waking up to this scene?
TentTent
Tent

We slept in tea houses everynight. They're basically semi-permanent tents. There was a common area with a fire where everyone hung out and ate our meals and an outdoor kitchen. So, we weren't roughing it, exactly, but we FELT like we were, which is most important, right?
Village WomanVillage Woman
Village Woman

We stopped at this woman's hut for lunch. She welcomed all of us into her mud home and made us Chai immediately. She was a sweetheart.
Almost there on day 3!Almost there on day 3!
Almost there on day 3!

Getting a little bit colder . . .
Day FourDay Four
Day Four

The last heave-ho till the top. By this time it's freezing and we can't figure out why our guide didn't tell us to pack warmer.
Day FourDay Four
Day Four

The final final climb till the top now, and it's a long way to the bottom if you fall on the snow, yikes!
Celebration!Celebration!
Celebration!

This is our mini-celebration dance that we made it to the top!!!!!!!!!!!
On the way down.On the way down.
On the way down.

Shortly after we made it to the top, we realized that our trek was only half way done, and we had to hike home.
Tired GirliesTired Girlies
Tired Girlies

Exhausted and cold from the trek, Jor and I put on our best faces for this picture.


25th April 2006

Trekkies
Congratulations! What an amazing feat. Love you. Mom
26th April 2006

You go Girl!
That is crazy Erin. So you had your own sherpa? so cool. Wish I was there with you. miss you and can't wait for you to get home.
27th April 2006

Like Sir Edmund Hilary?
Did you have a shirpa? P.S. Picnic Day says hi to you three chillers.

Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0437s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb