The Banyan Tree


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Uttarakhand » Rishikesh
February 14th 2006
Published: March 19th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Happy Valentine's Day everyone!

It is getting to be spring at the ashram! It's good for me that it's getting warmer because there's no heat in the buildings. I was very cold at night for the first few days. And there are flowers blooming in the gardens. There are may species of flowers and trees here, some that are like ones we have in Maryland and some that are not.

One of the most interesting trees here is the Banyan tree. Banyan trees grow all over India. They are a species of fig tree but they are quite unique. Banyan tree's roots grow down towards the ground. They can grow down from the branches themselves so an old Banyan tree looks like it has many trunks. Just one tree can look like a small forest. The largest Banyan tree in the world is in India. It's perimeter is almost 300 feet.

There is a tree that grows in Maryland that has a similar system but it happens underground. The Beech tree sends out roots underground that grow up as trees.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



23rd February 2006

Climbing
Is there rock climbing in India near the ashram? Can you climb trees? Are there any sacred trees?
9th March 2006

Sacred trees
Hi Rob, yes we do have trees that are sacred to us. WE don't really climb a peepul or banyan tree. A lot of animals and trees in India are linked to the HIndu Gods hence, they are also revered.

Tot: 0.14s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.05s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb