A month on...


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Uttarakhand » Rishikesh
April 12th 2008
Published: April 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Namaste from India!

We arrived in Delhi almost a month ago in the 'warm season' and headed out on the golden triangle of Rajhastan - going to Agra - home of the Taj Mahal before moving onto Jaipur, Pushkar, Udaipur, Jodhpur, Jaiselmer the pink, the Holy Hindu, the blue and the sand cities. All with incredible hill top forts - chaotic bazaars selling everything from spices, Hindu mantra cds, saris to sweets, bindis, and miniature hindu gods....

As we travelled around and neared the desert, temperatures hotted up approaching the pre-monsoon 'hot season' By the time we arrived in Jaiselmer a week ago it was topping 40 degrees and we sat in a candle lit roof top cafe at dusk underneath an incredibly angry sky throwing sheet and fork lightening and biblical rain down on us!!

As the heavens opened we departed and headed to Haridwar - one of the holiest Hindu cities in India - sat on the ganges - the river of life. We watched the Ganga Aatri - a holy ceremony at dusk where believers send miniature boats made of leaves containing flowers, sweets and candles down stream with their hope, wishes and prayers as an offering to the gods.

We then headed up river to Rishikesh - home of yoga and where the beetles headed to in 68 to 'find themselves' Several dawn and dusk hatha classes later we were feeling bendy and beginning to earn our 'proper traveller' stripes!

As the month comes to a close we head off to Kathamndu tomorrow - for a few days rest and then onto the Annupurna circuit for 20 or so days trekking - before arriving at Pokhara at the foot of the mountains to celebrate the big 30 in style!!

Hope life is treating everyone well - do email me with your news when you can 😊

Lyds and Al.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0651s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb