It Fits


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Uttarakhand » Rishikesh
January 11th 2007
Published: January 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

At first i wasnt sure about this place, crazy, polluted, noisy sensory overload India. Now though my heart and soul are starting to become very attached the experience of this place. Every nuance is starting to breath through me. Its like i have finally worn myself in and India now fits. I would not trade anything in the world for being here right now.!!!

The sound the Atari ( a loud speaker system that plays for one hour every morning and night of Indian music, drumming and chanting ) which still gets on my nerves once in awhile, the praying, horns blaring and my beloved bicycle bell are becoming part of the sounds that make India so beautiful . Even the yes mis, please ma'm, and other phrases of the Indian sales person ( which ranges from the 5 year old on the street to the aging man sitting cross legged in his shop) is amusing now since i have developed a hard enough demeanor that i am rarely ever pursuid down the street anymore.

So Rishekish has been one very long blissful giggle fest for Kim and I. Everything here is just plain funny to us now. At first we stayed at this Ashram in the first part of town, huge rooms that were definately on the wrong side of clean the bathroom was(is) so bad that every time Kim went in there she had to light an incense, so very gross!!! Me always laughing at her cause i had a cold and really couldnt smell anything. Then there was Sahdu row, holy men in orange robes, at least 25 of them every day just sitting in a row with their buckets for food. Rishekish is a wholy place so there are more here then any where else we have been. The only thing is about 60% of them are fakes, theives and who else knows what, because being a Sahdu no one asks questions, you get fed and you get to ride the train for free... pretty cool if your the real thing, but all those fakes made me kinda nervous after awhile.

We had one funny experience while out riding our bikes, which are blissfull, going along and here comes a holy man/yogi with dreads riding his almost full suspension looking bike, and he tells us how strong we both are, cause we only have one gear(brutall up hill ) And as he is talking to us telling us how he is a yoga instructor and has an Ashram outside of town his cell phone rings, zen guru dude with a cell phone, ah India.

We have horse shoes up our asses as far as I can tell though, as now we have moved....met this really nice man one day who told us about a room in his building that was empty....we call it our palace... its sooo nice no carpets, clean bathroom,clean sheets, our own balcony right on the banks of the ganga....its great....the only draw back is that every day the neighbour blast on his loud speaker that music that I SAY I am only irritated by a little , somedays are better than others, it only last for one hour though and most of the time we are in our yoga class all the way down river.

Kim has taken to feeding every animal around here wether its the dogs, the cows on the street or the local family of pigs/wild boars that root around out side our building. Its cute shes always immitating there noises and talking to them in a her specieal voice...they are some picky bastards. Love our papaya and a banana peels but wont go near the oranges.

Our bicycles have proven to be the ultimate find....such freedom no one can touch you on those things...we have taken a couple trips into the actually city of Rishekish and oh boy is that an expereince and a half. Your the smallest thing on the road and you better get out of the way, but its taught me the flow of things and it all works I feel like i am about to get creamed at least five/six times every time we go in but it always works out and i some how make it out unscathed. Except the damage to my lungs from the exhaust that i breath in.
We took a beautiful trip along the canal towards Hardiwar, 24km on a towny seat from hell, very hard, both our asses screaming in pain by the time we made it back, and we never actually went into the city itself we both looked at the roads and pollution and got scared so to the outskirts and back we went. Great trip and the next day we actually were not walking like we had been on a horse all day.... thank God.

In conclusion I love it here!!!!!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0458s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb