Rishikesh - a place for meditation, yoga and violating facial scrubbing! :)


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Uttarakhand » Rishikesh
January 10th 2007
Published: January 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

I had the most classic bus journey here - i loved it! The bus was jam packed full when it stopped at Dehra. (I say stopped but it didnt really just slowed slightly down for people to jump on it whilst moving) but people just jump on and hang on outside the bus and on the steps and so me and nats tentatively leapt onto the bus hanging on for dear life and we swung ourselves barely inside. eventually we made it in and paid 20 rupees for the hour and a half long trip. there was a big spare tyre in the middle of the gangway and people just stepped on it and so i placed myself there and braced myself. nats all the while with darting eyes like she couldn't believe it but the pair of us couldn't stop cracking up. the bus was careering over potholes and speed bumps so that there was no options - hold on with both hands or fall, bump your head...etc...i didnt have to worry about my bag (daysack) thanks to the luggage locks (thank you kate!) and jst chucked it on the ground but the thing that was getting the way was the water bootle after trying a variety of positions a small old lady sitting down gestured for me to give it to her and i swiftly obliged just to have two hands free. it was actually like going to the gym..no jokes. serious upper arm workout to try and balance round corners etc...but so so so fun. everyone was lovely and the old lady grabbed all nats bags aswell and held on to them happily as we held on for dear life on the thin metal rods imbedded in the ceiling. We eventually arrived in Rishikesh and found ourselves a place to stay, (after walking out of another hotel) (slightly too cheap) and then walked along the JAXMAN JHULA a landmark in hindu mythology. the monkeys. soo soo soo scary. nats sawe someone being attacked by one - for some reason they like plastic bags? anyway we went on a big walk and bought lots of jewellery i bought a beautiful turquoise silk sari and then walked a long long way.

Rishikesh is famous for massages, yoga, meditation and ashram. billed as the place to "find yourself" It has two main footbridges across the river ganges or ganga as the locals say. the river is the heart of the city really and there are buildings clustered around it and steps leading down to the water on every street corner. They also have an evening "aarti" here a hindu ceremony which involves the ganges. It's very touristy here although the northern parts of rishkesh are very peaceful with the beautiful scenery and the sparkling river. The bottom parts seem to be quite guttural. We've found a place up the hill but the vikram drives up are immensely funny as there are so many potholes and speedbumps...not forgetting monkeys everywhere...and the odd cow.

we were walking around town when nats fancied a face massage (she had a massage at toral's and now has a taste for them) this woman came out of nowhere as we were discussing the sign and said she'd take us. and then she turned in the opposite direction....me and nats not knowing what to do just followed her. she then unpadlocked this newsagent's and then lead us through a tiny door in the back. closing the corrugated iron behind us.......there was a tiny room with a dressing table and a plank of wood with a coverand a continuously dripping tap. I could see nats nervously eyeing up the spiders on the ceiling above her as she lay down. meanwhile i was sitting in my chair laughing hysterically to myself trying not to crack up in front of this woman. i could just hear nats thinking, "get me out of here now!" but the woman scooped up a handful of thick cream and smothered all over nats face. four creams later and nats eyes were red and wincing and her sensitive skin was reacting with whatever the latest mixture was and it was stinging her face.(at this point i am still laughing my head off in the corner pretending to read the guidebook) when she is finally allowed up she has to steam her face over boiling water and then get brown goo lathered over her face and then the women leaves for 15 mins for it to sink in.(i am still laughing) eventually the sound of corrugated iron signals her return and we can finally escape from the pokey spider ridden ordeal. i thought it was hilarious.

tomorrow we plan to head to haridwar or chilla as there isnt that much to do here unless you are "new age" or into yoga and since i'm neither...but it's been lovely to see very beautiful place. we might do an elephant safari on sat although it would be amazing it's first come first serve and i've yet to figure out how i'm going to get nats up for 6 in the morning......anyway love to all missing you all lots and lots and lots xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

(i'm still laughing)

Advertisement



11th January 2007

Transport and facial scrubs
Your description of the transport is amazing and I'm not surprised.Glad that you managed to hang on.Everyone sounds really friendly.I hope Nats has recovered from losing the top layer of her face!Are her parents following your blog too?Does she have one? Enjoy the rest of your mini break! before you start work.This blog enables me to live the experience with you it's wonderful! Lots of people are reading it,Bev,emma ,Gwenno,Rawlings,Natasha,Kate,the geriatrics are having a printed copy and loving it! Love you loads MxD and M
14th January 2007

Kate's blog
I am so enjoying the descriptive stories' feel as though we are almost with you! keep up the good work. Love to you both Grandma and Grandad Reese
14th January 2007

Cant wait for the next installment!
Dear Katie, Sounds like you are having a thoroughly 'Indian ' experience- transport and bureaucracy consume a large amount of time and energy ! Going with the flow is the perfect approach. All thinking of you back home lots of love Kate ( and P and P and M )
15th January 2007

Hello
Did you see anybody snake charming? I had tikka chicen for tea. When you come home will you eat more curry? I love you love Duncanxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Tot: 0.136s; Tpl: 0.025s; cc: 8; qc: 48; dbt: 0.061s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb