Relaxing in Rishikesh finally


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Uttarakhand » Rishikesh
September 21st 2018
Published: September 21st 2018
Edit Blog Post

Survived the overnight train journey albeit grubby, sticky and hungry. So breakfast in Rishikesh was great after another hour by road. Just a few hours to look around nearby before we wandered down to the Ganges to cross the famous Lakshman Jhula bridge. Made our way through endless little shops, streetfood,cafes, cows and dogs to Parmarth Niketan Ashram for the nightly Ganga Aarti cermenony on the riverbank. The guru Swami Chidananda and various students and followers chant. It was chanting, music, clapping and mixing with Indians who grabbed the lamps like it was life or death! I knew one of the chants so could join in.

The next day we went up the mountainside to camp! The idea being that everyone could swim in the Ganges. The campsite was very civilized and the food good. I didn’t make it down the path as my ankle is a bit weak. Sounds like a pathetic excuse but the path was very steep and slippery.

Back to Rishikesh the next morning. The roads are indescribable! Several parts are being resurfaced or cleared after landslides and the health and safety aspect is totally ignored. So a bumpy journey !

The joy of travelling is that not only do plans change because of landslides, late trains etc but because you have a feeling. I tried to find the Retreat Centre I had booked in for 5 days detox and all I could find was what looked like a Nissan hut in the middle of a landfill site. Apparently that was the yoga studio. The actual centre was somewhere up a path. Maybe I should have investigated further but when it’s complicated it’s not worth it. So onto plan B a very nice hotel with a view of the mountains and close to everything I need. That’ll do for 3 days ?


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0561s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb