Still learning the ropes


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Uttar Pradesh » Lucknow
November 9th 2010
Published: November 9th 2010
Edit Blog Post

So we have reached day 7 and are still trying to settle into India. Is massively overwhelming, loud and bright.

We went to the Taj Mahal which was really beautiful. Much larger than we both thought it would be, stunning creamy white, intricately detailed with stars and flowers. It was really busy there, even though we were there really early. Lots of European and Japanese tourists as well as huge numbers of Indian families. We wandered around for a few hours but had to leave as my stomach told me to!

We are currently in Lucknow, staying in a home stay which is nice. Is in a quiet suburb so there is much less noise and fuss (and smell). We get a good breakfast too which is useful as we have now started the dreaded malaria pills - watch this space!

The house we are in belongs to a nice family. The two children, a boy of about 20 and a little girl of about 10 speak amazing English which is useful as not that many people seem to in this town and all of the signs are in Hindi. The boy's best friend has been over lots and is very eager to speak to us.
We went to his house for the afternoon yesterday as he wanted us to meet his two younger sisters(after learning that we had studied Biology) one is studying biology in school and the other biomedical sciences in university. We looked at their text books and had a good chat about all the things that they are learning - pretty much exactly the same stuff as we did!
They were so lovely and very young for their age- They started off to be quite shy and reserved but after 5 minutes they were like two bottles of pop. i went into the house as myself and came out decorated like a Christmas tree! henna, painted nails, bindi, bangles - the lot. They were so funny and excitable. we were taken to their uncles house to meet their younger cousins and to their friends house after dinner where we were greeted by yet more excited shrieks.
Their Dad works within Government, he only had a few words of English but was so welcoming. Their mum spoke no English but was a lovely warm rather round lady who made a delicious feast for us all. She did try and teach me how to make roti but found it highly amusing when i rolled it into a rather odd shape. We stayed there until quite late into the evening and then with are bellies full one of his friends came to give us a lift back to our neighborhood.

We are leaving Lucknow tomorrow to go to Allahbad where we will probably stay for a couple of days then hopefully go on to Varanasi.

Bellies still a little squirmy but on the way up we hope
Chris is developing a beard

over and out x


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



9th November 2010

Great photos! I am amazed by the talent of these children and by their enthusiasm! There is no doubt that you had an unforgettable stay there! I also want to know how did it happen to be in their house - you found them on your own or it was organized? Looking forward to hearing from you !
9th November 2010

Glad to see you're getting on with the locals. Good luck with the malaria pills!! Love from us all in Wotton xx
9th November 2010

family life
hi both. Fab to read your entries, envy is strong on this side of the world. Super to see the photos; I can practically smell and taste the food you were sharing with your very welcoming family. Will it be a long beard, Chris? hugs, Mum and Dad xx
29th November 2010

Fab
This was fabulous - how did you get to stay in this house. Loved the photos - you'd look good in a sari Al !

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0474s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb