Lucky Lucknow


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Uttar Pradesh » Lucknow
September 24th 2022
Published: October 18th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Lucky Lucknow

-Piprey on wheels

Lucknow has a royal feel. It used to be the land of etiquette, poetry and subtle behaviour. Urdu language here is at its finest so much so that two people fighting sounds like music. I had an opportunity to visit my cousin and his family; jumped at it. I was so happy to meet my cousin.



The airport was small, clean and tidy. The city was small, more like Delhi but refined with architecture showing loads of arches by the river Gomti. There were fishes carved on the arches as it was considered auspicious (I thought the architect was Bengali).


My cousin’s flat was spacious with lots of green plants, song birds and an old dog. After tea, we went to a lovely homely place where I tasted authentic Awash biryani which was flavoursome but not spicy enough. However, the coriander chicken was mind blowing.


We went shopping and bought some fine printed cotton material which my cousin’s tailor stitched into comfortable salwar kameez. The ready made pista green chikan and pure whitesalwar kameez was delicately done and exquisite.

It rained in between but we were all young and full of energy since we were meeting after more than 10 years!


Their 2.5 year old daughter was a little mermaid. She filled wash basin with water, splashed over it and wet her clothes. Then she decided to tap old newspaper into a glass of water and then spill it all over. My cousin’s legs were her slides. In the evening, we ate Lucknawi chat
Chai and bun maskaChai and bun maskaChai and bun maska

The best thing on a rainy day!
of Panipuri by the roadside. It was lovely.



The following morning, got ready to do some touristy site seeing. The main city gate was unique showing 3 gates or 1 gate, depending on how you are looking. Visited an old court house which had amazing paintings of the rulers.

The place was famous for labyrinth which were commissioned by the nawabs during droughts to give employment. There was a beautiful water tank so that there is enough water for everyone.


The guide's beautiful language and diction was poetry in motion. The nawabs were indeed, philanthropist by nature.


Ate some tea and bun masks at the Sharma tea. An elaborate Bengali lunch with Hilsa fish followed by meeting some relatives. Time flew. It was lovely to observe wild parakeets in the neighbourhood.



I flew back but there was a long line for taxi at Kolkata airport. Took an airport bus to Manicktola and a taxi home. The hot and cold of the air conditioner made me sick. I had to cancel all my social engagements for the day.



Lucknow has its charm. The newpaper was full of news of the active involvement of the Chief Ministry to develop the state. The city is moving ahead at a fast pace because of political will. People were finding employment, roads were being built and the cities were so clean.

Lucknow, the capital of the most populous state of India was showing the way to prosperity for a bright, shining India.




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0359s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb