Delhi to Agra - Taj Mahal then Aligarh


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Uttar Pradesh » Agra
February 13th 2017
Published: June 17th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 26.9847, 78.1019

Today is going to be a big day, we are leaving this hotel this morning, travelling to Agra to see the Taj Mahal, and after we will be going to Aligarh, to visit our friend Praviin's home, and to stay close by for all the Wedding celebrations. Praviin has arranged every little bit of this trip, from the moment we land, till the time we leave, (apart from us crazy Aussies having lots of fun together,) but he has thought of everything we may need and want to do.
Ashish and the driver, called to pick us up so we can travel to Agra, he was a bit later than expected but kept in touch with us all the time. Clint an Thanh went to the local shops to buy some nuts and snacks to take with us.
Once again, all jammed into the car, we were off. 232kms, about 3.5-4 hours ahead of us. It was very slow getting out of Delhi, but once we were on the expressway, it did quicken up. The road was ok, unlike the roads around Delhi, with all the potholes, unfinished roads everywhere. Amanda, who we met yesterday, had told us some things about Agra, one of them was how bad the roads are, overcrowded, just crazy traffic, so far, we haven't experienced this yet, maybe it's like that in Agra. Our journey continued and we finally arrived to the outskirts of Agra. Now this obviously was what Amanda was talking about!! Crazy traffic. We slowly made our way through the city, over the highly polluted river to the other side, weaved through roads past many people begging and sleeping on the streets, dogs wandering as no one owns them, cows, monkeys, goats, then we saw a glimpse of the Taj Mahal, wow! We arrived to the car park, too many people trying to sell us stuff and men trying to sell themselves as tour guides, we rode in a horse and buggy to the next gate as for 1km, this area is car free, to keep the Taj Mahal clean. Ashish did the dealing with him, then we headed through all the security, ladies in one lane, men in the other! Our guide explained the history as we went along, took photos of us individually and also in our group, the view is amazing! We could see the Taj Mahal through the first building as an illusion. It looked close, but when we walked towards the other side, the Taj Mahal was actually still 600 metres away. The view that we saw, it's simply stunning, words cannot explain. We took many photos on the first seat, all with exceptional back drop. We moved along the path closer, still taking many photos. We approached the 'famous seat' where Princess Diana sat many years ago. So many people waiting for that special moment to be seated on that seat! We had the chance and we grabbed that opportunity, had a few photos taken. You cannot believe that you're actually here!
We carried on down the path and had to put on shoe covers. Again a queue to climb the stairs then we went over to the centre arch to look at the detailed work of gemstones made into floral patterns among the marble, also with borders too. At night when there is a full moon, some of the stones will glow in the moonlight. We took some pictures of the Royal Guest suite through the window, capturing it in a frame. Our tour leader at this point whispers to us that at any time we can give him tips, blah, blah, blah, so much for "I have a set price, crap that he told us.' We moved out to the terraced area, and were shown a section of the marble in the arch that has a darker shade and you can see the face of Albert Einstein. We had photos taken by the river, and as we were pressed for time, we had to continue on. Hanh had told Ashish about the sweet whispers that we all got, and then told the tour guide how we felt. Set price is set price, so after going down the stairs, we then started walking to the outside edge of the gardens, not back down the middle of path where the waterfalls were. The moment was tense, I thought we were being led to a room to be shot!! The look on his face was stern. I said I wanted to take more photos but got glared at. We walked to the next corner when the guide said he could take us to another part, where the workers family, generations on still live and continue to work on doing maintenance, and mentioned more about giving him money so he can donate to them... What the??? We ended up giving him extra, we didn't go where he wanted us to go, and I ended up from this point walking my own direction to the centre path, as the sun was setting on the Taj Mahal and I just wanted to get a good photo. I rejoined Mr Grumpy man, who wanted to show us a video about the workers ( who he wanted to donate to) but we didn't have time. He asked for my phone to take photos one more time, (I didn't know if I would get it back) then captured one last time the scalloped edge on the verandah we were in as a frame, and had the Taj Mahal in the middle, then handed me back my phone! What a relief!
Well we really had to go, as it was still a 2 hour trip to get to Aligarh.
Back on a tuk tuk to the car, street sellers bombarding us to buy their items, I bargained with an old guy for a book on Taj Mahal, paid him and also grabbed from him a set of postcards as I was shutting the door! That will teach him for telling me a lower price then raising it when we got back!
Back in the car with such long way to go, it looked like we were lost, going through little communities that looked so poor, always animals just roaming around. Think we were on this extremely bumpy road for a hour or so, before coming to the freeway that leads to Aligarh.
We have had a long day so far, but the night is just beginning. Not sure at all where we were going, we pulled up at Praviin's petrol filling station as we have seen all the station on security cameras when Praviin visits us.
About another 10 minutes down the road, we slowed and turned into a laneway, we were here!
Next thing, big camera lights go on, video rolling and cameras clicking, 4 or 5 drummers beating the hell out of their drums hanging from around their necks, Praviin and all his family and friends were outside awaiting our arrival, and far out, what a Grand Entrance!!
We were greeted by Praviin's brothers, sisters, nieces and nephews, and also his Mother. So many people here it was unbelievable. We were taken inside to his lounge area, where everyone just made a fuss over us, water, soft drinks all offered to us!
Further inside there were many voices and singing, all the ladies including Grandma, we're all celebrating and really enjoying themselves sitting on the floor. We were called for "snacks," a few dishes prepared for us and we sat around the table.
Inside in another dining area, people were doing henna on the ladies hands and palms as this is all very traditional.
We went downstairs to outside where a feast was being held for all the family, everybody making us try different dishes! We finished our meal, and then we were taken to our Hotel, as it has been a HUGE day!
I wonder what is in store for us over the next 2 days??


Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 27


Advertisement



15th February 2017

Looks like Clint's work van at Christmas
15th February 2017

Hmmm have you been shopping again???
15th February 2017

What an adventure !!! The photos are amazing . So glad you got to try jalebies - yummy . Xx
18th February 2017

Clever boy!
18th February 2017

Great photo!
18th February 2017

Beautiful

Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 12; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0538s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb