On too Agra


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Uttar Pradesh » Agra
January 11th 2015
Published: January 16th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Today was a day of travelling through this vast and seemingly endless country. We left our hotel around 8:30 or so and began our 8 hour bus journey to Agra. Again, out onto the highway system that needs some serious repair work or the vehicles need better shocks! Lol but the view and the scenery along the way was spectacular. Memories of our family road trips to Alberta.

The highway itself was full of ruts and bumps and no lines on the road. It really makes you wonder how they find their way around and get from one point to the next. They just seem to go wherever the wheels lead. People walking on the sides of the roads and highways and Ther are cars coming at you...yes going the wrong way on your side of the divide. How and why they do that will always be one of life's greatest mysteries, but they are still alive and they will do it every day. Go figure.

Along the way we stopped at a large hotel out in the middle of nowhere, it seemed, and had lunch out on the veranda. It was peaceful and quiet and was just us having lunch. The hotel was amazing.....there seems to be many of these along the routes so people travelling between the cities can pull over and dine or grab a room for the night. Not at all like our motor inns along the highways in North America.

Then it was into this old deep well in a small village just about an hour or so out of Agra. Wow!!! It was built sometime in the 11th century and still survives today. Not as a working well as such but as a monument. The wells are also not like what we know as a well ins he west to supply water. They were very very very large holes in the ground built with stairs and floors going into the ground that would store the monsoon water when it would come. They were very ingenious on how they used and saved everything. It was much blarger then the one that I saw in Ahmedabad.

Then it was on to Agra. One of the expected highlights of the trip. The trip itself was bumpy but with Delhi Belly it wasn't the most joyous journey. I was glad to get to then hotel. I skipped dinner that night and then too bed. I was really looking forward tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.041s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb