Agra pictures


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Uttar Pradesh » Agra
November 21st 2011
Published: November 21st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Here are pictures from Agra.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Hall of Private AudienceHall of Private Audience
Hall of Private Audience

This is the hall where Akbar had representatives of different religions discuss their faiths and gave private audience. It is famous for its central pillar, which has a square base and an octagonal shaft, both carved with bands of geometric and floral designs.
Central pillar of Hall of Private AudienceCentral pillar of Hall of Private Audience
Central pillar of Hall of Private Audience

The central pillar has thirty-six serpentine brackets support a circular platform for Akbar, which is connected to each corner of the building on the first floor, by four stone walkways.
Central pillar - long viewCentral pillar - long view
Central pillar - long view

The pillar has various carvings of the different religions that were discussed within the hall.
Panch MahalPanch Mahal
Panch Mahal

The five-storied palatial structure, with the tiers gradually diminishing in size, till the final one, which is a single large-domed chhatri. Originally pierced stone screens faced the façade, and probably sub-divided the interior as well, suggesting it was built for the ladies of the court.
Panch Mahal - courtyardPanch Mahal - courtyard
Panch Mahal - courtyard

This is the outdoor area that the ladies of the court would use.
Friday MosqueFriday Mosque
Friday Mosque

Akbar and the other moguls of the Mogul Empire period were Muslim. Their holy day is Friday, thus the name Friday Mosque. Is is the view on approach to the mosque.
Tomb of Salim ChrishtiTomb of Salim Chrishti
Tomb of Salim Chrishti

This tomb is within the mosque grounds and is a holy monument to Salim Chrishti who was an Sufi saint revered by Akbar.
Taj EntranceTaj Entrance
Taj Entrance

This is me and my travel companions (Anita (my roommate), Pamela, and Mary) before we enter the grounds of the Taj Mahal.
Taj MahalTaj Mahal
Taj Mahal

This is what you see once you enter the gates to the grounds. It is so spectacular, even from this distance.
In front of the TajIn front of the Taj
In front of the Taj

Here we are sitting on a bench in the grounds of the Taj.
Holding the TajHolding the Taj
Holding the Taj

That's me holding up the Taj.
YamunaYamuna
Yamuna

You can see the haze on that day that obstructed our view down the Yamuna River. If it was clear, you could see the Agra Red Fort down the river.


21st November 2011

Wow, Virginia!
Greetings! I was thinking about you and your fabulous trip, when I got a notification about your blog. Great pics, looks like this is the trip of a lifetime! Have a safe journey home.
21st November 2011

Watching the blog
Wow! Amazing trip! See you soon! Call when you get back. Cous. Pat
22nd November 2011
Holding the Taj

Strong girl
Hi Virginia, You holding the Taj...now thats a site! We never did get to see you in a sari at the office too often eh! Its YOU! And, I think its way warmer where you are than over here in Ottawa! :-)

Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0818s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb