The Most Beautiful Building in the World


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Uttar Pradesh » Agra
April 6th 2011
Published: April 9th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


On Tuesday 5th April, in a train compartment a lot like the sleepers on the old Capricornia/Sunlander, we travelled here to Agra, to see the Taj Mahal. We saw families with their food packed for the long trip, bringing back happy memories of chicken sandwiches and cups of tea! Our compartment for six, inevitably held eight people due to some mysterious Indian method of selling standby tickets. There was already an Indian Michael Rowland in Mike’s seat, but he shushed away quietly when the real one stepped in! Arrival here was somewhat of a shock, lots of touts trying it on, hot and dusty, sometimes very smelly, women digging in dirt piles and men sifting through garbage heaps. It is still leaving me speechless. Later that evening I was left speechless again for a different reason... my first view of the Taj from a rooftop restaurant at sunset. The wealth of countless nations is embodied in this monument to love. It was built as a memorial and burial site for the third wife of Mughal emperor Shajehan, who died giving birth to his 14th child in 1631. Interesting to note that 8 of these children didn’t survive due to disease in this time. It is so intricate, even from a distance that it looks like a trinket from a magical place.

The next morning, we rose early to see it near sunrise... it is majestic up close and beautiful to see it reflected in the long rectangular pool streaming out from its doors. Everything in the gardens and interior is symmetrical giving a feeling of endlessness. The walls are marble and carved so finely they look like lace. Other walls have swathes of murals on them, created by carving and inlays of semiprecious stones (still there) and diamonds and gold (long gone). Two coffins lie in the centre, as the Sha was eventually laid to rest near his wife when he died.

It was a point of amusement for us, that when we entered the Taj and our daypack was searched, our packet of little “giveaway” koalas, was confiscated from us.”Ahem... no cartoons allowed inside” the guard said. “They will be minded for you at the third shop along the street outside, for when you get out”. Of course, afterwards, we discovered this was a shop selling souvenirs, probably his brother’s! A smooth way of ensuring that we would browse and buy. We did. Sometimes you’ve got to just give in and go with it.

Later that day we relaxed in our room to unwind and escape the heat of the day, before heading out by auto rickshaw to see the Agra Fort, our final sight in Agra.

Lots of Love to Everyone,

AnneXX



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



10th April 2011
Pajamas at the Taj

Loving the outfit - magnificent shot!!!!

Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0759s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb